Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Jul 21, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Moderators please leave this in the South Carolina forum.Who all is gonna be at the Monticello tournament so I will know who to look for?

2. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    so who won and what did they catch?

3. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris won. But I'm not sure of his winning weight. I was pulling up the rear.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    It was only 18lbs it was just a bad bad night.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It hard to fish in "glass top" water....

:lol:

6. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    After hearing about tatersalads trip to Monti, I now understand why you say 18 pounds is "a bad bad night"....LOL!!!!!!!!!!

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I want to hear about this Monty trip. Man I tell ya Monty can be a tough lake, some days you can catch fish hand over fist but other days you can't buy a bite.

8. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I'll post the whole story soon. Waiting on the pictures. I left my camera in the truck, so Chris Blue is having to email them to me from his camera.

9. chopper

chopper New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Having a hard time right now on this lake. I am a little behind times for I just had to retire my paper graph, which I loved, and had to go to the stuff. Not crazy about is as of yet, but I will get use to it and learn how to use it to my best advantage as possible.
    Thing seems to lie so much because i guess I haven't gotten it down pat yet.
    Just how good is the fish ID on these things? Seems I am going to have to depend on this for a while and when I do get on the fish switch over to where i can get the arches that I have been use to for 30 years.
    Went out last Friday and the only thing I hooked was timber. The fight is good but doesn't look good on the table and makes no gravey. :smile2:

JW

10. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Three rules on depthfinders:

1) TURN OFF THE FISH ID
    2) Buy the bets you can afford
    3) TURN OFF THE FISH ID!!!

Never ever, even under gun point, use the fish ID.

Even if Osama Bin Laden is on your boat and offer to surrender if you turn it on!! Be a man and leave on the arches and kick his ass!!! :lol:

Seriously, that stuff is to captivate kids and sell depthfinders to skiers.

It interpolates data down to a fish. It can be a whole school of shad and it will show it as a couple of small fish. It can show a brush pile as a school of bait. Sometimes it is right, sometimes wrong, but the main thing is that it does not give you all the information you need to make a decision on how to fish or not.

The only thing I would do to the factory set-up is run down the sensitivity to around 90% if you dont want to see every bit of crap, other than that leave it alone.

11. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Man - I agree with Dieter. I've got a Garmin 240, and 95% of the stuff that is ID'ed as fish turns out to be trees/brush.

12. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    [Even if Osama Bin Laden is on your boat and offer to surrender if you turn it on!! Be a man and leave on the arches and kick his ass!!! :lol:

Thats friggin' awesome!

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    from what i have saw on my 2 trips there about everywhere you stop you will alot of arches, if they are biting is another story. i have never saw a lake like it lol.

14. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris what size hook do you use i bought me a couple packs of 7/0 cirlces today and gonna give them a shot and see if i like using them.

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thats what I'm usin right now.

16. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I know what you mean about the depth finder.....I had a Hummingbird 3000 that I used for years and I loved it but it finally went south on me. I replaced it with a Eagle 240 with sonar/GPS and ive had a time with it. But finally I learned to stay away from the fish id and keep the sensitivity around 82% and it works fine. I had to do some experimenting with the fish arches.......but since I have an abundance of grandkids that love the water, this wasnt a problem. I may not be able to pick out a school of stripers or catfish on it.......but I can show you what a large school of various sized grandkids looks like swimming under the boat.

17. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Well, Ken, I'm sure that will come in handy some day :roll_eyes:

18. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm plan on hitting Monty Tuesday night if the weather is alright and nothing is going with my lawyer.

19. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris you fishing monty tom?

20. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I should be down this evening sometime.