Lake Monticello - Whats wrong??

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tnfishman, Jul 16, 2007.

1. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Is fishing that bad right now on Monticello or what. When I first came to this site everyone was talking about how good Monty was. I wanted to come back in the next couple of weeks but now I have my doubts.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Dont know whats going on but I plan to keep trying.

3. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Big blues seem to have went on strike every where. Monticello normaly is real productive this time of the year. And the smaller blues still are hitting regularly. You can mark big fish with your electronics but can't seem to get them to bite. Loads of smaller blues & channel cats were caught at Santee this weekend but the big blues refused our bait.

4. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Monticellio can be a mystrey at times but even when they are eating good its a trip to trip thing. If u hit it on the right day that lake can give u one of the best trips u could imagine. If u can't catch them driftn find a hump or good steep drop that u mark fish at and wait and wait eventually one of those big boys will load your rod up.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    it's not been what i would consider good for me personally the last couple of times i have been there...and when some one figures out "what's wrong" i hope they let us in on it:crazy:

6. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Me and the wife came down yesterday afternoon and caught quite a few small ones. The biggest was 12lbs. I can't wait till someone helps us out because it is 125 miles one way for me and it is hard to justify to my wife why Monticello is so great. I know that it will pick up soon. At least the wind wasn't blowin like crazy and I was able to scout around a little. Did get my first lesson on water dropage. Got back to the boat ramp and there was almost not enough water to get the boat on the trailer.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    It will get better soon.Theres a few big fish being caught here and there but it hadnt got good yet.The spawn started late this year with the crazy spring weather we had and its got things a liitle out of wack.They will settle into the summer pattern soon and things will pick up, its just takeing a little longer this year.Some of the fish we caught last week had still been fanning their beds because their fins where freshly bleeding.Monticello has alot of different temperature ranges with the warm and cool water side and the real deep water and that causes a very broad range of spawnin times which can make for a longer period of slow fishin than most bodies of water during the spawn.With the different temp ranges you'll have some fish goin on, commin off, in the middle, and recooperateing from the spawn and it just makes things difficult.

8. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I going to give it a shot Sundaty

9. johnboy

johnboy New Member

State:
    Columbia SC
    well....went and caught bait today for saturday and sunday morning at ol monty....been itchin so bad to get back out after missing them giants last weekend....they shall be coming to the hill tomorrow!!!see yall at the lake!

10. jimbow3

jimbow3 New Member

State:
    NC
    I'll be there Sat. also hope we both have good luck