Lake Monticello today 1/13

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by martygreen, Jan 13, 2007.

1. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Me and Jeff went to Monty today,was a great day to be on the water,wish the bite would have been a little better,we ended up with 5,all blues,we caught those drifting in the first couple hours, I managed to hook up on 2 hawgs,that were lost in the timber unfortunatly,both were caught in about 80 ft of water,the first one i would not be at all scared to say he was way,way over 50lbs,i have caught one over 50 before,and this fish was rooting way harder and fighting so much more,i fought him for a good 15 to 20 minutes trying to get all that line in drifting and he was coming up,all of a sudden he got wraped around a tree,we fought on for another 30 to 45 minutes trying to free him up with jeff moving the boat around,he finally came loose and was headed straight to boat,i was reeling hard and all of sudden,he is in another tree,fought him for another 5 minutes or so and the line finally gave out,Lost,what a bummer,was one heck of a fish,the same thing happened again,a while later with a fish that felt a good 30 lbs or so,line finally snapped again,those big uns are there,just couldnt get em out fast enough,spent alot of time riding around scouting a few places also so we werent really fishing the whole time,was good day in all,just wish i could have landed those 2

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I know the lake is real deep. Are you guys fishing vertical or dragging it behind the boat. Me and Dieter are going on a recon in a couple days to check out the bite.

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    we done both today,mostly dragging,seem to have better results that way,we were using cut herring,shad as you know is hard to come by right now,and we didnt have time any this week to try and catch any so we used herring,not my preference but it does ok,would rather use gizzard shad or perch,marked tons of fish in the timber,with alot of bait around,that was our recon for Feb 3 also,looking foward to fishing with you guys if ya make it,i wont be able to get back down before then due to work and other commitments,hope this helps

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I've lost so many big fish in them trees that I just quit fishin anywhere near em.

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    See you guys there Feb 3rd. It will be nice to meet some of you guys. I will post a report Monday. Caught some bait today for the trip.