Lake Monticello Sunday

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by AgentDuder, Aug 10, 2007.

1. AgentDuder

AgentDuder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Im going, for the first time in my own boat, to Monticello Sunday. Any advice? If you are out Sunday give us a shout. I know its going to be hot but you have to go when you can.

2. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm a new guy on here too! I used to fish Monticello just about every weekend, but that was 2-3 yrs ago. If you go at night, take a good spotlight and make sure your depth finder works well. That lake is real up and down in places. You'll be rolling along in 30-50 ft. of water and all of a sudden it'll drop to nearly nothing. Once you learn the lake it's not that big of a deal but something to be aware of at night, especially if they are pulling the water down. We tore a prop up one night b/c of that.

Also, be careful on the ramps because I remember one of them was kind of short and drops off. I've read where others on here agree w/that. But, all in all, used to be my favorite lake because we always caught catfish (although small) and had a good time. If the bite gets real slow, you may want to collect some mussels from the sandbar for the little cats so at least you can say you caught something. Have fun!

PS-Unless you pull up to the bank, I don't remember there being any shade at all on that lake.

3. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Take plenty of water! We went down Thur. Man it was so hot the fish were wanting to get in my cooler. If you just want to catch some fish take you some shrimp or Docs. Fish about 50ft of water and they will come. If you want bigger ones get you some herring or cut brim and drift across the open parts of the lake.