Lake Monticello report for 9/16

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by martygreen, Sep 17, 2006.

1. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Anyone been doing any good lately at Monty,me and few others made our first trip there last night,enjoyed the lake,it is different for sure,we found out alot about it,and hope to go back soon and try em again,maybe next time during day to get to know a little better,we only boated 2,one about 3 lbs,the other about 5,bite was real slow,we used live herring,cut herring,cut shad,cut bream,live bream,a little of everything really,we caught the 2 drifting in about 30' of water,also anchored alot of the time without any luck there either,if anyone wants to input a few good starting points down there,it would be appreciated,most of our time was spent around the islands and 1 drift near the dam.

2. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Yeah marty we drift alot of the time in water as deep as 100ft.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Dont be afraid to drift as deep as 100ft but you need a little heavier weight than the snake weights, egg weights work just fine in most places over there because the bottom is slick if you find the right spots.

4. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray
    fished Monty last night too, we caught only one & it was caught anchored on 50 feet of water . We drifted near the dam for 3 hours or so without a bite, fishing between 35 and 110 feet .Our fished weighed 17 pounds , very small for monty indeed

5. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    yea,i was in same rodeao with yall,i am slab hunter on the other site,glad to see jesse win,we was in the sun tracker fishin barge toon,green/white,i was surprised the bite was as slow as it was too,but as you said,they were drawing out all night,so i am sure that effected the bite,we drited for a while,then anchored in a few good humps and drops,then went bacvk to drifting and caught the 2 we boated,again congrats to jesse and tell spend that cash wisely,later

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've always had better luck during the daytime at Monty.

7. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    LOL Riverrat, that was the 1st time ever fishing at night for me on monty ( prolly the last too lol )

Thanks marty , I kinda figured you may have been fishing the lil rodeo BUT had no idea who you were

Jesse split the money with me & his sister & since he was so nice ,I took my share & bought us Breakfast at the waffle house before going home . I really would like to have another over there except in the daytime as i am sure the weights would be ALOT higher . My whole clan was hoping we would catch something bigger BUT we were SURE that somebody would have one over 40-50 pounds..... just goes to show that you can never tell what it is gonna take to win I guess

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    So there was a tournament on Monticello? I wish I would have known that.

9. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    boy i reaaaaaaaaaaaly wanna go fishing up there pffffffft stuff keeps comming up darn it!

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i would have liked to try that also couldnt beat king chris though.

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Man, dont jinks me now.

12. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    well Shoot, just plan another one !! this was one that Rango over at crappie.com got up, we all put in 10 bucks a head & the biggest fish take all .. heck why dont you get one up Chris , me & my crew would fish it for sure, just make it in the day time as I feel sure the daytime would get a better bite . I only live a across the river from there so I can fish most any time ,, except friday night

anybody else wanna fish a small tourney on Monticello one sat or sunday ?...I feel sure that some of the guys on the other site would fish it too ..

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Well we got two carolina catmen tournaments there next year but we might could do somethin along them lines here soon.Maybe a 40 or 50 dollar entry fee or somethin.

14. rattler316

rattler316 New Member

State:
    sc
    Sounds good to me! Just let me know.:big_smile:

15. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    My 2 kids fish with me , that would be 3 of us, and you know daddy pays the entry fee's , so I would much rather see 10 bucks a head ,that way it can be fun even if you loose , just my 2 cents worth

16. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I'd fish it too. Most tourneys just have an entry fee for the boat, not per head. That might be what Chris meant. Either way's fine I guess.

17. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah I meant 40 or 50 a boat.

18. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    ok so the boat is the team so to speak & the team can be however many can fit on the boat or toon for 50 bucks ?For us , our team is 3 , and if we win, we split it 3 ways anyway ..... the cost of our boat is 50 bucks,, the guys that fishes the toon with 6 guys gets in for 50 bucks too BUT they also have to split the winnings 6 ways ,, If that is what the group wants , I'll go along with that , its all in fun anyway & a way to meat everybody , I just know if it was 50 a head the number I could fish would drop like a rock .compared to 50 for the whole boat lol

SOOOOOOOOO Chris, when is the date gonna be? Would the 30th be too soon ? LMAO

what hours do yall fish tourneys most times?

19. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    We do most of our tournaments during the day.I've got to get through this captains license course and all the stuff that comes along with it.Then we can make a date. I'm thinkin maybe October 7 or the 21 because the Hartwell tourny is Oct. 14.I think I have those dates right anyway.As many paople on here that fish Monticello we should get a pretty good turnout.

20. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    the 7th would be ALOT better for me , I have stuff going on the 21st, also if yall want to, I can post the date on Crappie.com & I am sure some of those guys would fish it too.. let me know