Lake Monticello Report for 10-14-07

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by martygreen, Oct 14, 2007.

1. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    me and my brother jeff tackled monticello today with fair results,the big bite never really came,bait was an issue this day,we only had some frozen herring which i had luckily brought along,went by the bait mans house this morning to buy a few dozen and to our surprise he was closed,we knew all we had was the frozen stuff and figured it would be a lost cause,we went on anyway to give it a try,we did stop and bought a can of worms and tipped 2 sabaki rigs and caught a few bream and perch,come to find that they didnt want those anyway,we ended up catching 15 fish,14 blues and 1 channel,all came on the cut herring drifting in 30 to 70 ft of water,water temp was 78,little wind to speak of,biggest fish came in at 12 lbs,had 1 that went 10lbs and another 8,the rest were in the 2 to 5lb range,not a bad day considering the bait situation,we will be better prepared the next time,i need me a job where i can have more time for bait catching etc,but i guess we all do,anyway thats my report from monty,the big ones will be there next time:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Good catch especially useing froze herring, just think what you would have caught with fresh.:smile2:

3. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    yep,thats was my point chris,you know what i mean,and not being able to use a cast net makes it even tougher at monty,i started to go get the bait last night,but the wife had other plans for me,wylie is too low and wateree was to far out of the way at 6am,so we were pretty much screwed with the bait deal,i still cant catch em on perch for some reason,just havent had no luck at all with it,tried presenting it 100 different ways and still very few takers,think i will stick with shad and herring:smile2:,i did see big cat hunter and catlady but never got to talk,dont know how thay fared,i apologize randy and amanda for not coming over to launch to speak but we were trying to get to some bait and the fish,we were kinda frustrated at the :angry:time

4. Cat Lady

Cat Lady New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hello, Marty. It sure was nice to see ya. I'm sorry that we didn't get to speak either, but don't feel bad our day wasn't much better than what you had. I will make a post and tell ya what we caught. I hope to see ya soon, and good luck!!!!!!!:big_smile:

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Way to go Marty - I think that 15 fish is pretty darn good! You'll get into the hawgs next time :smile2:

6. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fished friday morning with my brother and his wife. We had fresh herring. Anchoring only produced 1 little fish per spot, inspite of marking tons of fish. Drifting shallow in deep water worked much better. everytime the wind would pick up we would catch 1 or 2 or 3 right fast. Then the wind would stop and so would the fish. This happened like clockwork with the wind. I think we boated about 15 -20. He kept 12. All were 1.5 to 4 lbs.

7. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    dang marty that's down right impressive with the bait you had!!!...i've had far worse days on monty with much more and better bait:embarassed:...congrats!

8. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    yea it was pretty shocking to me also,i guess it proves a catfish will eat about anything at any given time,i really just carried it along to chum some with it,i'm just glad i brought it:big_smile:eek:r it would have been a terrible day

9. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    good catch anyway,on froze herrin,but keep trying those perch they will work.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Dont listen to him Marty, perch dont work and neither do bream, I wouldnt use neither one of em.:smile2:

Texas Pete marinaded crickets and grasshoppers are the way to go.Aint no tellin what you would have caught if you was usin them.

11. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    if i didnt know better i would believe you chris on the perch,i know they like it,just havent had no luck with it yet,my time is coming though and he will probably drag me and the boat all over that lake before i am finally able to land him,but you got to many weapons,now its grasshoppers and crickets,i was just getting used to the zara spooks and creek chubs:smile2:i guess those blues will eat anything:crazy:

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Now wait one durn minute :confused2: Cap'n Chris tole me that Zara Spooks were the #1 bait to use at Monty - so what inna wild, wild world of sports is agoin' on 'round heah :crazy:

13. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    [/quote]Texas Pete marinaded crickets and grasshoppers are the way to go.Aint no tellin what you would have caught if you was usin them.[/quote]

That was my bait of choice and it seemed to work for me.:big_smile::smile2::big_smile:

14. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    ok i can't resist and i am giving away one of chrisblue's best kept secrets so he's gonna kill me:eek:oooh:...you gotta take the texas pete soaked crickets and wedge them inside of a fruit loop and make sure it's the purple fruit loop cause it's the only one that works...sorry chris:smile2:

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Well since you brought that out, I'll go ahead and add that it absolutely has to be the purple one the other ones want work.It has to be a brown grasshopper not a green one and it also has to be a brown cricket and not a black one.:wink: