Lake Monticello- Please Help!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Cat Lady, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Cat Lady

Cat Lady New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was introduced to fishing about 3 years ago, and it has became a passion of mine. When I first starting fishing, I only caught the finger lenght cats. Now I have finally graduated to 2 lbs fish. I guess if you look at it that is better than what I first started out with. I would really like to catch the bigger cats, but don't really have the knowledge to do so. I mostly drift fish at Monticello using live blue back herring, shrimp, and brim heads. I do use a drift sock while doing so. Can anyone tell me great locations, bait, or anything I can do different to prosper to the bigger cats?

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just keep doing what you are doing it will come, also try anchoring on some deep ledges. also try a bigger variety of bait because you never know what they want.

3. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Sounds like its just a matter of time til you start catching the big ones doing what you are doing.Before long you will be expecting to catch the big ones instead of hoping too.

4. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Those guys said it the variety of bait is important because sometimes those monty cats get stuck on one thing and thats all they want.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    cat lady...go back thru the monticello posts and read them...you will learn a lot about the lake and also about how and what to do to get on the bigger fish...there is piles and piles of good info in some of the past posts.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I second foothills advice. There's all the knowledge from all the best fisherman in there. It's just a matter of time. Good Luck and let us know how it comes along.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    For the best shot at a big one leave the shrimp and herring at home.Not that herring want catch a big one but its not top choice because the little ones will devourer it.Bream, white perch, crappie, and gizzard shad all cut into big chunks and sometimes live and alot of patience is the key to the bigguns.Theres alot of current in Monticello and learnin how to read it will help alot.Sometimes driftin with the current will be better, sometimes driftin into the current will be better.Its deep water time right now so dont be scared to go deep.