Lake Monticello on the 27th

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by martygreen, Dec 24, 2007.

1. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Thinking about heading down to Monty the morning of the 27th,looks like that will be the best day for little wind,any of you guys planning on being there,me and jeff will be on my toon and hopefully a couple others on another boat,maybe we will see some of you there.:wink:

2. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Hope you catch a bunch! Merry Christmas!!!

3. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    well changed our minds,looks like we are going to wateree instead,the wind is gonna be a little higher than they were predicting a couple of days ago,so gonna just stay a litttle closer to home, a little easier to get out of the wind at wateree than Monty,plus its the wifes b-day and will have to get back to take her out:eek:oooh:

4. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    I see you are on line that must have been a quick trip to Wateree this morning or was it to humid. :wink:Where are some good places to fish at Wateree?

5. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    today is not the 27th,would have been a wet trip if it was today

6. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Your right my day is messed up. I had to work today but my mind is on the lake. Good luck tomorrow.:wink:

7. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    no problem scott,didnt mean to be short but i was in a hurry when i read it earlier and too answer your earlier question about where to fish on wateree,most people fish from about the mouth of wateree creek on up to the dam at cedar creek,the blues are pretty much all over the lake now,some good ones have been caught lately down lake near colonel creek and drifting is usually pretty good from taylor creek on up to june creek,alot of flats thru there

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Marty it was a "rough day at the office" but one of my fishing buds said they had a great time fighting the Wateree cats. How was it?

9. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    well rodger,actually we didnt fair to well today with the cats,we tried a couple of spots anchoring early this morning and they never paid out,about 9:30 we decided we would go on down lake and try the drift action,we came around the blown over island and there was about 30 boats from there to the mouth of wateree creek fishing the channel for crappie,so we had taken about 3 dozen minnows with us cause we had heard the bite had picked up for em,we fell in with em and caught about 15 before we ran out of minnows,if had had really gone to crappie fish we could have easily limited out,they were tearing it up pretty good,just tightlining a couple turns up offf the bottom,any way after we ran out of minnows we went up a piece and started drifting,the wind got uppretty good,we caught 5 or so small ones and called it a day about 2,had to get back for the birthday girl,not a bad day,could have been better,but it beat the heck out of being at PMC:eek:oooh:

10. Jeffrey Green

Jeffrey Green New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Pretty good day on the Green Machine I might add,catfish bite was slow but the crappie bite was pretty good.

11. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Wife and I drove for 3 1/2 hrs to monticello, fished for bass until noon then started catfishing, from noon til 3 caught 11 cats, nothing to brag about. Wife got sick and had to come home the 28 th.
    Looking forward to my next trip down there.

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    What about the bass? Did you catch any smallmouth?

13. monticelloJCR

monticelloJCR New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Monticello
    What smallmouths?? Somebody please show me a "smallmouth" bass come out of the lake! I'm not saying they arent here but i have lived on this lake all my life, and never seen a smallmouth in here!!

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I've never personally seen one either and one of the reasons is that I've never fished for them but I get to fish with alot of different people.I've had numerous avid bass fisherman out with me and almost everyone of them said they have caught a hand full of smallmouths out of there and more and more are showin up each year.

One of the guys that said that is Jim Mayer, a pretty well known trout tournament fisherman and former resident of Lake Jocasse.He's caught quite a few trout, smallmouth, and largemouth in his day, being 70 years old I have no reason to doubt him.

The Broad river that feeds Monticello has a good population of smallmouths a little north of Monticello so hearing reports of smallmouths in the lake is not surprising to me.

I'll send an e-mail to one of the biologists on Monticello and see if they have seen any in creel surveys.It takes a while to get a responce out of them though.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've seen a few pictures of smallies from Monty, all caught during bassin events. I didn't believe it until I saw the pictures. Broad River has them all the way into Columbia now and I've heard of a few being caught in the Conagree river.