Lake Monticello on Saturday

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, May 2, 2008.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    May not be much of a day weatherwise, but my 14 yr old kid asked to go, SO WE GO! It's rare that he wants to do anything with me anymore.

Scott, hope you have a couple dozen herring for me, I'll be there about 5:30 in the morning.

We will be in a little aluminum v-hull with a 15 Johnson, yell if you see me!

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Good luck and y'all have fun.

3. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    great to hear good luck to ya. see you soon.:big_smile:

4. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Watching the weather myself and hoping to make to Monticello too. Scott you might be seeing me in the morning as well.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im glad to hear that you and your kid is going to get out and do some fishing together, I wish you both luck hopefully you all will be able to catch some fish, its always good when you get to spend time with your kids, I dont have kids but I love spending time with my neice and nephews.

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Good luck, Steve, to you & your son. Hope that you get into some of those famous Monty Monsters :big_smile:

7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Anytime you can spend with your children is worth it.:wink:Hope ya'll have a great time and he catches the fish of a life time!:wink:

8. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    Good Luck and I hope you catch a hog.

Scott where do you have a bait shop that sales herring? I live in union and I planning a trip to Monty soon and would love to have some fresh herring to take with me.

9. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I finally got my son on a few cats. He went once before when it was slow, then didn't want to go back. Saturday we caught a lot of small blues. I filleted 24 blues between 2 and 5 pounds (for a mens retreat meal next week). My son said lets go back to the same spot and take more bait next time. I only bought a dozen shad and a dozen herring and still brought home 24 fish - not a bad avaerage. I could'nt help but laugh at my 14 yr old when he was bringing in a 5 pounder. he said dang, my hands are getting tired. Just wait till he ties in to a 30 pounder! He really got excited one time when we had on 3 at a time. I hope this is enough to get him hooked on fishing with me. He's at that age where he doesn't want anything to do with the old man. Just a few years ago he wanted to everything with me. I miss those times and look foward to them returning.

10. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Nice catch Steve. Looks like things are turning around for ya. He's already wanting to go back with more bait.:wink: Glad y'all had a great time together on Monty!

11. CarolinaRig

CarolinaRig New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like you had fun! I've been wanting to try out Monticello, I've never been there before, Is there somewhere you can camp...also what would be the best ramp to put in at, and area to fish? I'm coming from Aiken.

12. Zellcat1

Zellcat1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like a great day on the water. Where can you get shad and herring near Monticello?

13. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Carolina Rig, I use the landing at the top end of the lake, turn by the Montecello Mart and its on the left after you cross the lake. I wished I new of a good campground at Monty, but do not. Some people camp at the landing and others on the islands. The islands are closed April 1 thru May 15 for the waterfowl nesting season.

Zellcat, I buy my bait from Scott at SC Backwoods in Union. He is a member of the board and a good fellow to deal with.