Lake Monticello - need some help

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by FLAT, Jan 23, 2007.

1. FLAT

FLAT New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Going to monticello saturday [1st time] and have some questions. where is the best boat ramp to use?Will be comming down 385/26. Are the fish in the upper lake or down closer to the big water? I'm not asking for your honey hole,just what kind of places to look for.Can you buy or catch bait close to the lake?What is the best bait[if there is such a thing]?What is the closest ramp to 26,and how do you get to it?Is there any safety hazzards as far as running the lake? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I live in rock hill,so i either come down 77 to 200 then to 215,and go down by monticello ez mart,take next right,that will be 99,go down that rd to you go between the lake,after you cross,sign for landing will be on right,that is the best landing,especially if there is much wind,you can also come 321,i think it comes out on 26,not sure of directions from that side of lake,most of the fish i know of are being caught on upper end near 99 landing,anchor on deep drop offs,mark bait and anchor around there,you can also drift if your set up for it,be careful around islands,especially with long points,that water come up fast,you will go from 50-70 ft deep to nothing in a hurry,also alot of timber in the lake around the islands,best advice,watch your depth finder real close and use your gps if ya got one to mark safe routes,overall it is pretty easy to navigate once you been around a few times,as for bait,cut herring,cut shad,perch,bream,live and cut and just about anything else,bring ya a variety and see what they like,some days are better with different baits,i'm no pro on that lake,just have to find what works best for you,chris couuld offer you up a few better pointers,seems as he is the man on monty,hope this hepls,good luck:big_smile:

3. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    One thing I would like to mention. No throw nets allowed. No even in your possesion from what I've read. I haven't fished there but I intend to. you can catch white perch for bait.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Scott you wouldnt happen to be pre fishin for the tournament feb. 3rd are you? Marty pretty much covered it all.If your comin down I-26 get off on 34 stay on 34 aprrox. 15 miles or so (never recorded it excactly) You'll go accross the Broad river.About 2 miles from the Broad river there will be a sign for Lake Monticello telling you to go strait.Dont go strait turn right on Pearson Rd., follow that road until you see Lake Monticello sign tellin you to turn left make that left and you will see more signs and the lake, the boat ramp is on the right, the small lake will be on the left.Theres no where in Monticello that you want mark fish, its full of em you just have to pick the spot you like the most and go with it.Check out the January and Febuary issue of SC Sportsman in the fishin forecast section, it has a little bit of info on Monticello that might help you out.Oh yeah like Bream Baiter said absolutely no thrownets.Theres a young game warden that patrols over there and he thinks hes got somethin to prove he'll run over your lines jump in your boat and start goin threw it without aaskin and everything.

5. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Yeah that game warden can really be a headache esecially in the summer.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Flat you have a PM.

7. FLAT

FLAT New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    will this cold weather shut them down or make the bit better? Also,are gizzard shad any harder to keep alive than bluebacks?Can you keep them is the same bait tank without any problems? Burr,it's gona be cold in the am--burr.

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I usually dont even keep the gizzards alive.Put em in a bag and strait on ice.