Lake Monticello Monster !!!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bigcatman0001, Jun 24, 2008.

1. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Went out on Monty for the first time and did ok. The biggest fish we managed was a brim but it weighed 2 pounds 4 ounces my new pb. We did catch 8 small 1 to 2 pound blues but the wind was blowing so hard we had to hide behind the islands to fish. That is one beatiful lake i will definitly be back. Also does anyone know which kind of brim this is. I am no expert on the panfish.

Attached Files:

• brim.jpg
      brim.jpg
      File size:
      35.3 KB
      Views:
  2. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Holy S$%* I have never seen a bream that big. Having him mounted?:big_smile: I'm noe expert on panfish either but we had some in our pond my dad put in there that went from 1lb to 2lb that were called Black Australian Bream??

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Great catch brad! I'm no expert on bream, but that looks like a male bluegill. The males turn black and dark like that if they are in a spawning mode. I'm sure someone can shed more light on it. As this is just my opinion.:wink:

Thanks for the report

4. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I've only seen em' that size from one body water, and, I'm sworn to secrecy on that spot. Great fish, that may be the trophy of a lifetime, relatively speeking. I'm not sure what type it is, but, that is one of the more impressive panfish I have ever seen.

Richard

5. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Yeah I think Ill get it mounted, but the paque will have to say "bait" It was hard not to try and catch a big cat with it.:eek:oooh:

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    thats a big bait!!! imigine the flathead you could catch on that sucker lol

7. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    nice fish and yes I know what it is called ... it's in the NA species, called "Big Bait"

Nice catch.

Nice catching on them eater catfish as well, heck that panfish might have been big enough to eat a couple of those cats you caught, naaaaaaaaah!:wink:

8. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thats a redear sunfish or shellcracker as we callem. They get big. the reason that one is black is because it is a spawning male. The state record is close to 5lbs.

9. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thats a large bluegill.........see that band across his head......around here we call those copperhead bluegills due to the copper band acrosss the head.

10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The world record is 4.12 and SC state record is 3.4 what did you catch it on

11. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Caught it on a piece of red worm

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would say it is a bluegill also but it is a nice one.

13. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Nice bait:)..Congrats on the catch!!

14. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    im pretty sure thats a shellcracker, nice catch!

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Its a Bluegill and not a Shellcracker. Note there is no red on the ear as with a Redear Sunfish(Shellcracker) also note it is more round than long as with a Redear Sunfish and finally the color is wrong for a Shellcracker., they aren't that dark even during the spawn.

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    looks like a great fish, congrats

17. Gamecock

Gamecock New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Shellcracker
    shellcracker.jpg

Bluegill
    81398recordbgill1.jpg

You caught a bluegill, a very nice bluegill at that. If you look at the pictures, even with large shellcracker, there will always be an outline around the ear, 99%of the time it will be a red outline - hence the name "redear" sunfish. Bluegill lack said outline and have the ability to become much darker depending on size, season, and a number of other variables. There are a few ponds around me stocked only with bluegill that resemble your fish, color-wise, not size-wise. Next time I go out there I will snap a few shots, the colors get pretty funky around the crown. Just a little info, my buddies and I are native fish collectors so if anyone needs any fish IDs just let me know and I will try to help.

18. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I took it to the taxidermist today and confirmed it is a bluegill not a shellcracker. Thanks for the help fellas

19. riverosa

riverosa New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    no matter which species it is, its huge.

20. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Man, that is one nice bluegill!