Lake Monticello meeting

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Sep 26, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Moderators please leave this in SC forum.Alright everybody how does this sound? Oct. 7th, boat ramp closest to recreation lake, 7am to 3pm back at weigh-in by 3:30, 40 dollars per boat 10 of that to big fish pot.5 fish limit alive.Everybody is welcome, yall boys that read the reports but never post anything yall come on too.Everybody is required to have a good time.Does anybody have any big scales? If I left somethin out let me know.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yeah you didnt say i could tie to your anchor rope, lol i will fish it but i will be hard to get past you know who.

3. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray
    Chris , me being a newbie & never fished a tourney with yall I will do however yall fish tourneys .. with that said, would it not be best to charge per head instead of per boat ? a big toon could fish 8-12 head of peeps , where a 10 foot jon boat can only fish one my size lol , Like I said, this is my 1st Tourney so I will play by whatever rules the group decides , just wanted to throw my 2 cents in lol

Also , being alive , which all the major Crappie tourneys I fish are that way , 10 that have to be alive. BUT I dont have that much experience with Big CATS , how hard is it to keep 5 alive that weigh 15-70 pounds each ? The 45 pounder I caught on labor day died very quick , I DID Gaff him & did not use alot of care as I knew I wasnt gonna fish long enough for it to spoil & I knew I was gonna be eating it soon !!! I thought I read somewhere that a LARGE Cat took more care to keep it from dying , and I have caught some over there that when pulled up from 70 feet thier inside poped out !! ...Again, I will fish by whatever rules the group decides BUT I did wanna at least throw this out there !!

see yall on the 7th !!!

allen

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    They shouldnt be to hard to keep alive then because of the cooler weather we're having.Most people put a hole in their bottom jaw and put em on a rope and let them have a good bit of slack to get below hot surface water.Lets have some votes on fee per person or per boat it dont matter to me.

5. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    it doesnt matter to me, be cheaper by the head cause there will be 2 on my boat but most tournies i have fished is by the boat. by the boat makes it more fair that way every one is paying the same where as if a boat has 1 person he pays the same as a boat with lets say 4 or 5. also it will make it better for a big fish pot to come out of the ante also. just my 2 cents.

6. rango

rango New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if you gonna charge by the boat, then you need to set a limit of no more than two per boat with no visitors allowed. a toon with a half dozen on it fising is gonna stand a better chance at coming up with 5 winning fish than a two man jon boat. Im not gonna be there, but thats what id do. the more you can do to cut down on the griping, the better your chances are of it being a sucess. and i can almost bet you thats gonna be a sore spot with a lot of the smaller boats thats entering. two men competing against six is an unfair advantage unless you limit the number of people per boat. good luck

7. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm hoping to fish it if I can get my partner in gear. I don't care much about (per boat or per head). All the tournements I have fished have been one entry fee for the boat. With a limit of two or three people per boat. The five live fish part is whats going to kill me. That's an 8 hour tournement. I feel sure I can't keep fish alive that long. My livewells not big enough so I'll be doing the stringer thing. But I'll make due. I guess if it dies it gets fried.

8. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    like i said earlier i will have 2 on my toon and it doesnt bother me at fishing against a boat with 5 or 6 people. i dont see an advantage cause i am sure i can use just as many rods as anybody else does. and wont have people in the way.

9. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray
    either way I will be fishing it with the kids more than likey . I hope to get a few of my friend around work & neighbor hood to fish it too , more the merrier !!

10. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    i am not opposed to either way,i think by the boat would be the simpliest way to do it with the big fish money alreadyfigured in,i see there point on a 2 man boat also,but i have a pontoon myself and it will only be 4 at the max on it,the more people on it the less room to move about and as flatheadhunter says,i can fish as many rods as anyone at a time,i kinda worry about the keeping alive deal myself,my toon has a descent livewell,and i guess the rope deal would work,i just dont see the point,if there gonna be kept,or do you guys prefer to catch and release on your tourneys,just wondering if its alive i will do best i can,would hate to loose out on some money cause a fish died on me and then they were being kept afterward

11. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    the fish having to be alive may deter some people from fishing that dont have the means to keep them alive. if put on a rope what about the ride to weigh in. will the fish being out of the water that long kill them when they are released. i am like marty if some are gonna keep what they catch i dont see a point in keeping them alive unless it is gonna be catch and release for everybody.

12. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I like to keep some of what I catch. I'm one of those old fashioned people who still like to eat catfish. I'm all for throwing back the big ones. But the little ones go in the cooler. But that's just me. I'll follow the rules. Whatever y'all decide.

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Alright lets do the 40 dollar per boat thing.Theres a few reasons for the alive at weigh-in thing.All catfish tournaments I've ever been in have done it this way for conservation.Lets say 12 boats show up and all 12 boats have five fish around 15 to 30lbs, if I say they dont have to be alive then nobody will work to keep them alive and they will all die and all have to be ate.If I say they have to be alive then everybody will work hard to keep them alive and that means not so many big fish come out of the lake at one time.I dont have a problem with anybody keeping fish even the big ones because I've ate my fair share of 30 to 40lb fish, I just wouldnt like to see 700 to possibly 1000lbs of fish come out of small lake like that at one time.Now the biggest reason for the alive part is that I have had fish die on me and 30 minutes after they die they look like they've been dead for days.So if somebody brings a big dead fish up that looks like its been dead for days then people will start to talk and possibly confrentation will arise, I've seen it happen.This is an example (That 50lb fish that guy weighed looked like it had been dead for alot longer than 8 hours there aint no tellin when he caught that fish).Now if they are alive chances would be pretty good that it was caught at a legit time.If yall still want to do it dead thats fine to, I just dont want nobody to accuse somebody of havin a 2 day old fish or anything like that.Again does anybody have any big scales we could use mine only go to 50lbs.

14. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    hey if this goes well , think yall might consider a maybe during the week get togather? id really like to talk to some of yall but its not possible for me to get out there on the weekends

plus iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii got good catfishing outfits cheeeeeeeeeap ha ha that should be a drawing point lol

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Set a booth up at the boatramp Saturday that way you can be there.:big_smile:

16. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    ha ha ha wish i could !

17. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    No chris i have no large scales dont catch fish big enough to need them, count me in on the 7th.

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Does everybody get the point I'm tryin to make in the post above.Everybody has to use stringers so we are all in the same boat with tryin to keep them alive.I just think it would do away with any contraversy to weigh only live fish.Because anybody could go catch fish 1 or 2 days before the tourny put em on ice and weigh em and nobody can say anything because they didnt have to be alive.

19. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    the $40 dollar a boat deal is fine with me,i still am not sure about the alive deal,i know one maybe 2 good size cats are gonna fill my livewell up,and probably tear it up in the process,have already seen 30 pounder tear the lid slap off of a 120 qt cooler before,i can tie a rope to em,but i'm like ronald,i dont wanna be dragging fish around all day,even though will will probably drift fish most of the day,changing locations of any distance will be tough on em,but hey i am game,i am pretty new to this site and dont want it said i am hard to get along with,i will abide the rules that are in place by the organizer,which is chris,so i will leave it up to chris with his word being final,i will say one other thing that we do on our crappie rodeos,and i would be all for it,we get our judges,usually 3 picked out,all boats and coolers are checked before leaving ramp to make sure no fish are stored in them,none of our guys have ever questioned this and it does help,if a guy wants to cheat he will find a way,whos to say some guy might have one tied to the bank somewhere to pick up during the day,cheaters will find away,i know i am honest and would hope my fellow brothers are too,i say lets have 2 or 3 people check each boat before launch and may the best boat win,look foward to good fellowship and lots of blues being caught

20. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    my fish scales only go to 60lbs,i have a scale that i hang my deer on to weigh,they go up above 200 lbs,it seems to be pretty accurate,it one like most check stations use,would be glad to bring it,it is better than nothing,all we have to do is tie a rope to a tree to hang it on,just let me know