Lake Monticello last night!!!!!!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ash, Aug 24, 2009.

1. ash

ash New Member

State:
    south carolina
    went to monticello last night, caught 18 smaller blues 2-8lbs range, in 60 - 80 foot water. after about 11:00pm pulled up the rods to try too get on some montys bigger fish an started marking alot of fish in the 110-135ft of water an heavy structure on bottom, put out drift socks caught the first big blue dont know the weight but very good size, 45min. later hooked another good sized fish an it was a flathead????? i was confused i diddent know they hang out that deep. ( maybe because i rarely fish that depth. till now!!!):confused2: but had an awsome time. even with the trailer tire exploding on the interstate.:crazy:http://[​IMG]] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Nice catch.. Need to get to monty soon--what were ya using for bait?

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    did you release the flattie? that is the only one I have seen that came from there. heard of a small one or two but never saw one.

4. ash

ash New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i was using shad, white perch, bream. the flattie was on live bream

5. ash

ash New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yea its the first flathead that i have seen there, yes i released both the blue & flattie:wink:

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    those were some good fish, it would be nice if flatties got established in there the way those big blues are.

7. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Ash, were you dragging bottom or were you dropping down, suspended???
    Like 50ft in 100ft of water, etc...
    Nice Flathead, never seen one come out of that lake

8. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    WTG Ash,those are some nice ones.First flattie I have sen come out as well,nice to know that there is some in there even if it aint a lot.Great job on the release as well.:wink:

9. ash

ash New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i was dragging bottom with 4 rods & suspended with 4 rods, the big blue was caught dragging bottom, the flattie was caught suspended 75ft over 130ft. i was driffting near the rock wall close to the power plant, there is alot of standing timber(trees) in that area that is in the 100ft. range. its good fishing in that area i lost alot of tackel, its worth it:big_smile:

10. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I know the area but i thought that was off limits:crazy: I never could understand how i would get hung up in 100+ft of water fishn 30-40ft down:eek:oooh: Largest fish i ever hung was in that area 50ft down (you know, the one that got away:big_smile: Can you fish over there now??

11. ash

ash New Member

State:
    south carolina
    no theres no fishing over there, i was around the back side of i think its the second island, an there is a rock wall that runs all the way to the power plant, i betwen the island & rock wall

12. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Looks a little weak in the photo,,,:confused2:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  13. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Way to go Ash!!! I think there are more Flatties in there.........:eek:oooh:

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Great fish Ash, and a slap on the back for the catch and release of those nice fish!! :wink:

15. ash

ash New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yea me too. i was reading online, of they stocked the lake with when they built it, an it was channels,blues,&flatties. an that was in the late 70's - early 80's im going back soon:big_smile:

16. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Back when they was building the plant i went over for a job interview cause i had some kin working at the place. When i went over i really didn't like the work that i would have to do (may have been a bad decesion, cause those guys seem to have job security) That was in the 70's and it wasn't any water on the Monty side, they were just digging it out (wish i had taken pic's) The land at that time was cheap compared to now, but i didn't want to live near a nuclear plant:smile2: Go figure, if those sierens sound we are all gone anyway, if you live there you just go first.:smile2: But anyway, those fish have plenty of food, plenty of cover and have had plenty of time to grow. I just hope it hasn't been over fished for the big boys. Every body and his brother has went after them cats and a lot of people have caught there first big cat there:big_smile:

17. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Nice job with the catch & release Ash. I'll be heading to Monty next week to give it a go. Hope I can hook into one of the big brutes. Nice flattie bro!:big_smile: