Lake Monticello info

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Sep 23, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I talked to the head fisheries biologists over Lake Monticello for about an hour and a half yesterday.I found out some pretty interesting things.The blue cats where not stocked by SCDNR he has checked all records and he cant find anything stateing that there was ever any stocking of blue cats.He said they got into Monticello from the broad river through pumpback operations.I also found out that the lake was'nt even gonna be open to the public when they filled it but there was enough demand to open it.He said they started dominating the lake in a survey in 1989 so they have been in there for at least a few years before that so he thinks they have probably been there for around 18 to 20 years.Long enough for a few state records to be swimmin around in there anyway.The last survey was done in 1997 and the blues and white perch where the dominate species.He wants to start aging some of the blues to check the growth rate and I'm real interested to see the reports on that.I also asked the question that alot of people asked and thats why they didnt stock stripers in the lake and thats because there wasnt enough nutrients and not enough forage base in the lake to support stripers but the blues have adapted well and theres no need to worry about stripers being put in Monticello to compete with the blues.Maybe this will clear some questions and rumors up for some people.

2. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    what i would like to know is why arnt there any big bream in monti, there are plenty of shellcrackers in monty but they never get any bigger than 4 inches long theres plenty for them to eat, to me i see no diffrence between the water in murray and monti , seems to me the bream should be huge, wonder why that is??? annnnnnnnd dont tell me the cats ate them all, murrey has just as many fish that eat bream as monti if not more, could the problem be the extreme fluctuation in water levels?? i think thats what ended up doing in the crappy there

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Great info Chris.

A guy I bass fish with sometime named Mr. Davis(he's not a member here because he doesn't catfish) said Thursday they had a little run in at Monty. They were fishing around the dam and were approached by a woman in truck. When she stepped from the truck, she was carrying a M16 and a sidearm and informed them they had crossed the marker line. She told them to leave and tell the other boat some 100 yards away they needed to leave also. So they so as they were asked.

Personally I've never had any trouble myself but I try to stay on the upper end of the lake.

4. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray
    I Remember fishing Monticello before there was any ramps to launch from, you had to have a 4X4 to back down the red clay bank into the water ,OMG the Crappie we caught those 1st few years !!

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if the blues were never stocked and came from the river through the pumping of the water then maybe there is a few flatties down in the woods. maybe?

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Personally I don't see how they could have made it above Columbia, with the canal and no fish lift at the time they would have made it up that far.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I forgot to mention the part that he said it could have been illegal stocking of blues in Monticello too.That woman with the machine guns got ahold of us one day too and we wouldnt anywhere near the line.I remember the days when you could fish over there it was Oh so nice.So many huge fish caught over there.Maybe one day they will open it back up.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I want to go Tuesday but I don't know if I will. I haven't been to Monty in a over a month.

My first guess was illegal stocking because if the bluecat could make it up that far striper would most likely be in the lake also, if that makes sense to you.

9. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    The blues had to have come from illegal stocking or from some body's pond that was flooded that had blues in it, but i don't care i'm just glad they are there.