Lake Monticello here we come

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Turfman, his uncle Patrick and myself will be on Monty tomorrow morning. Any suggestions on the best bait this time of the year, plus should we drift or anchor down? Fish shallow or fish deep? Also, anybody on the board going to be there, if so, come over and say howdy. We will be in a white center console. Thanking you in advance for your replies.

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Wish you luck, and have some fun.

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Good luck Mac. I will be at the Fishing Expo/Boat Show in Greensboro, NC tomorrow, drooling over all the new toys I cant have.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Good luck, Mac, hope that you get into some bigguns :smile2:

5. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Good luck Mac. The fish did not bite great for me last monday. I did catch 2- 15lbers and 3 smaller ones. and I caught all of them on a main lake point in 15 -20 ft deepWhich suprised me. The only reason I caught those was cause none of the deeper humps seemed to be working for me. But every trip is different on the big Mon.

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Mac I wont be there tom but hopefully be there sat if I can get a busted water line under the house fixed by then.

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    When I arrived at Monty, Turfman already had the boat in the water. The temp. gauge on my truck depicted a temp. of 19 degrees. We tooled along at no wake speed for 40 some minutes looking at the sonar graph and saw enough to know the pattern that we wanted to drift (using the trolling motor). Water temp. was 55 to 58 degrees and we started off with a lite wind and ended up with winds of 5 to 8 MPH out of the SW.

Brother Turfman insisted that I catch all the fish, reason being he said, was because I don't get to bring many in myself. What a fine chap he is! He had stopped on his way to Monty and got us some live gizzard shad. We baited most of the rigs with the live gizzard shad, with a slight cut above the tail to make them bleed and we also had some white perch, which we put on two rigs. End results for this outing was five nice cats ranging in size from 10 to almost 30 pounds. Those Monty cats love to fight.

I had a great trip and I owe it all to Turfman, thanks Bro.

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Picture of my guide and another nice Monty blue.

9. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Glad u all had agood trip. Good looking fish Thanks for the pics

10. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Enjoyed the story. Sounds like you and the turfman had a great time. I wish I could have been there with you guy's but duty called early this morning.:cool2::eek:oooh::big_smile:

11. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Nice fish guys! O'l Monty can sure make a mans day. Thanks for the report fellows.:wink:

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Holy crap!! Did LakeNormanBlues actually smile in a picture????? He must have been happy!! :crazy:

13. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    nice fish glad yall had a good day

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    congrates on the fishing trip fellows. nice report!

15. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Nice going, guys - glad that braving the cold paid off for you. :big_smile:

16. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    I have been to Lake Monty four times and three times I have gotten a rash on my thumb:wink:. The only time I didn't get one was when I went as a cub reporter on Gregg's birthday trip, with Capt. Chris Simpson. I was telling my wife about it and she said the only solution was to stay away from Monty and just fish the Catawba chain of lakes, because our catfish are not mean. I have also gotten a bad hand rash from trying to burp a big old bad blue from Lake X, who thought I was a noodler. My hand bleed for six hour from that adventure.

Sorry about the quality of the photo, it is hard to photogragh your own thumb. :embarassed:

17. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    that looks painful!!! my wife had a blue almost break her middle finger about a month ago! rolled on her while she holding it for a pic!! had to have a splint on her finger for a month! but she was okay with it since it was her PB!!
    good cattin to all this year!!

18. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    THose monty blues can be real mean.

19. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think anytime you get in a boat and it 19 degrees outside, you earn every fish you catch. Good job.:big_smile:

20. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Willie Catter, believe it or not, it was not that cold. We had no wind when we started and the sun was shining but, when it got to 39 degrees with a SW wind of 6 to 8 MPH, we both got a little chilled. ISYN !