Lake Monticello help

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by preacherfisherman, Oct 10, 2008.

1. preacherfisherman

preacherfisherman Member

State:
    SC
    Name:
    Tommy
    I new to the lake monticello area and would like to learn the best way to catch big catfish, like the best bait to use, like is driftind or anchoring is more effective, whats the best time to fish, what depth of water are the big ones in, where do you get the bait catch it or buy it. A little help would be much appreciated.

2. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Hey Tommy, welcome to the BOC! Look through the old post of Monty for all the information you will need. Hope ya' catch a big-un!

3. preacherfisherman

preacherfisherman Member

State:
    SC
    Name:
    Tommy
    Hey we caught a few fish, it was real winding. Thanks for all the help, if there's anyway I can do to help you let me know, I used to fish the Santee Lakes alot, and I striper fiah lake murray and clarks hill so if you want to striper fish just let me know. I am a preacher in Aiken, but i live in swansea. I like to fish and preach.

4. Chalk

Chalk Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    You want get much help on here, I ,ve been asking for over a year. Might as well figure it out formyourself. They try and Hide backgrounds in photos and give you no general info that will help.:sad2:

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Kevin, I have been a member of the BOC for almost 3 years, and I have learned a ton of stuff from reading the posts here. I think that your response paints an unfair picture of the regulars here. For example your statement that no one posts any general information is hard to understand when in the last 2 weeks there have been several posts about Monty in which people report that the have been drifting, using shad and herring as bait. No secrets there! If someone takes the time to look back over the months/years, he would be able to see that people have reported water temps, depths fished, baits used, and whether they were anchored or drifting. There have been posts discussing the use of wind socks and best speeds to drift. And how are we suppposed to respond to questions like the best depths to fish, or baits to use, or should I anchor or drift, when conditions are always changing, and fish are always moving around? Lord knows that the Monty blues are finicky eaters, and while they may love herring or perch one day, the next day they won't touch them. And finally: it s true that people remover or cover the backgrounds of their photos, as we have discovered that not all fishermen practice CPR, nor are they the least bit interested in protecting a tremendous fishery like Monty. So maybe we are a little protective, but that does not make us bad people. And finally: Those individuals that consistently catch large fish there do so because they generally have spent hundreds of hours on the water there, in all types of weather and conditions. So it is understandable that not all of them may want to just give away everything they have worked for any and every time that they are asked. JMO.

6. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Come on Kevin. No need for this. You know that Myself and Bruce are close friends with Chris Simpson! So yes! we've kept quite and hide backgrounds. There would be no need to hire him if we told all details! If I helped everyboby that asked, I'd put him out of business on this lake! Then what kind of friend would I be if I done that. Bruce and I would not let out info that could harm Chris, as well was i want let out where my buddy Roundhill catches big fish at on Santee. Theres more to it than what your thinking. So If Bruce and I keep backgrounds out of photos and don't help others, It's because circumstance doesn't allow it. It doesn't mean we don't care. Nothing against anyone!:wink:

7. QBQ

QBQ New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    This is one board where the "No help" statement should not be used.
    Thumbs up to all those on here that do help.

8. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well said Pat. I agree.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Chalk Monty is only about a 3000 acre lake It realy shouldnt take too long to fiqure it out. Just put your time in and pay attention to the details

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Chalk Monty is only about a 3000 acre lake It realy shouldnt take too long to fiqure it out. Just put your time in and pay attention to the details that are put in there post on a regular basis and get out there and figure out. I fished sanee for years and would catch some small to medium sized fish but never a big1 so I hired a guide to show me the ropes but my guide expience was less than stellar with a horrilble night of fishin that made me so mad that I got down there and really put my nose to the grindstone and fiqured it out.

11. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    oh now i know what Les than stellar means all the time i thought it was something good. the roundhill:wink::wink::smile2::smile2:

12. Freeman.360

Freeman.360 Guest

its a great lake, no people skiing or tubing, not many houses, and a lot of fish. just be careful with the wind, if the its even a little windy at home we wont even think about gettin out there in my jon boat b/c the wind can double. there have been some big fish come from there

13. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray
    I got to chime in on this one as well. I mainly fish for crappie during the fall & Winter & Fish for Huge Cats any other time of the year .I have been fishing Monty sine before there was even a ramp on that lake & I can tell you that it is unlike any other lake that I have EVER fished & I have fish ALOT of lakes in the South East USA .

The main thing is it is a PUMPED STORAGE LAKE , so for that to work , it had to be built above the river ( Broad ) . That means in part that it sits atop of a hill & thus has NO big feeder creeks . The water conditions are mainly controled by SCE&G energy needs , yes some of the water is used as cooling water , but the biggest everyday use is as a Pumped storage lake. SCE&G pumps water from the Broad river into Monty during off peak hours & Stores it till the demand & price goes up, at that time they will then relase water out of Monty back into the Broad River. If b y chance your in the river when they are filling Monty back up & want to bottom fish, you have to fish up river from the boat because the river ,current will run up hill !! ( with all the pumps working at or near 100% ) .

The Lake being so high above the river means also that if the wind is blowing , there is very little blocking the water from the wind & you get the full affect of the wind . Also when it comes to feeding , fish can & will feed at anytime during the day or night , with that being said though, some of the best fishing is when SCE^G is back filling the lake & bringing up fish of all sizes that are stunned or dead from going through the pumps . It is almost like a dinner bell ringing when the pumps are turned on,esp the closer to the plant you are .

This Board has always been very helpful to be, even though I am not that big of posted , I do Visit & read post by other fishermen .I have posted on this & other boards about what I catch & how I catch them . But if anybody has a spot , ( esp one that they make a living off of Like Chirs ) they would be cutting thier throats to post every single detail of the where & how . Like I said earlier , I mainly fish for Crappie, do a good bit of Tournament fishing & you can beleive me , I WILL NOT tell EVERYTHING , esp when i Have a tournament forthcoming , I would be cutting my own throat as one anyone else that were that were on fish & posted on a board ... with that being said there is ALOT OF HELP on this board & "Chris Blue " has always poated a Heck of alot of that INFO, more so than I would !!

Anybody reading this, , take the time, doa a little research , keep your fingers crossed, hold your mouth right & you too can catch Huge Cats on Monty or for that matter any other of the Big Cats Lakes !!

Happy Fishing

Allen

14. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    he just needs a little cheese to go with all the whine:cry::cry::cry:

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Now you know I wasnt talking about you old man.:wink:

16. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Y'all are being very adult about this. That's why I'm keeping my 2 1/2 cents out of this one. Y'all have it handled....:roll_eyes: