Lake Monticello catfishing trip 9/4/09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JimmyJonny, Sep 5, 2009.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    The Captains of Team Cat Slammers ( Pat ) and Team Flat Liners ( me ) hit the lake to look for the big boys. It was a great day of exploring, experimenting and conversing for Pat and I. We hit many areas of the lake and tried many tactics to lure them in with some success.

The day brought 13 blues in the boat. Pats Pb of the day was a beautiful 12# blue and my biggest was a 13#. I don't have a very good report to help others because we did everything and tried everything but there wasn't any special tactic for the day.

The fish seem to be spread out a lot still so marking stacked up fish didn't happen. It came down to instinct and past experience to catch the ones we did. The numbers came from drifting but anchoring also brought in a few. Even with bait, there was no certain bait they wanted, I would advise to bring many different kinds to try if you go there.

Basically it was a hard working day but definitely a labor of love. The weather was really nice, they called for 10mph ( and that means at least 15mph on Montey ) winds but it never happened. It amazes me how this lakes wind direction can change from one minute to the next.

Pat, as always I thank you my friend for letting me tag along....I enjoyed it to the fullest ; )

Here is my 13#, Pat has the pic's of his blue.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    We did our best to get into some big fish, but they just wanted to hide today. At least we didn't get skunked :big_smile:

Attached Files:

3. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    My scales must be wrong, those fish look a lot bigger than 12-13lbs:big_smile:
    nice catch

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    At'sa what I though, Dean - so I'mo go out and buy a new scale this coming week.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good report, fellows! Glad to see y'all had a good day out. Hope the bite is on at the Santee next weekend!

Bill in SC

6. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Ya'll had me wondering but the scales are good. I weighed my fish with my scales and then checked them today at home. Water weighs 8.34Lbs so I filled 2 one gallon milk jugs of water and weighed them...came to 16.12.......they are on ; )

Mine was actually 13.5# but I rounded to the lower in this post. I sure they were bigger, but its the honest weight LOL.

-Jim-

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  7. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc

Meant to say " I sure wish they were bigger, but its the honest weight"

8. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    At least you're honest:big_smile: Lot of times i don'rt even weigh mine and do a rough guess, if its a big one we will guess and then weigh to see who gets the closest. I'm usuall pretty close and it really don't matter unless i'm in a tournament or fishn against Marvin (my old fishn buddy) when we use to crappie fish we would take 2 coolers to see who caught the most fish. It was hard to beat that guy.

9. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Congrats on the catch and glad ya'll had a great trip.:wink:

10. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Sounds like a fun day for both of ya'll! Hey Pat did you happen to catch a 'pink' drift sock? I know there is one in that lake somewhere!!:embarassed:

11. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have seen a lot of drift socks, but a pink one. That's something new.:smile2:

12. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Yea it was something! My 'Rude' thought it looked delicious and given the chance........IT ATE IT!!!:embarassed: It can be retrieved in 100' of water somewhere down at the lower end of the lake. Sorry Pat!!:wink: