Lake Monticello - Best Fall Month

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tnfishman, May 21, 2007.

1. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    What is usually the best month in the fall to catch some catfish on Monticello? My first visit was ok but a little warm, would like to return when weather is cooler. Not much on night fishing takes too long to recooperate at my age. lol

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    October is usually pretty good and not to hot.From my experience on Monticello though is the hotter it is the better it is.I've had more 200 to 300 lb days from the end of June to mid October than any other time.

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    as chris said,october is usually a good month

4. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    man all this monticello talk is making me want to go...not sure i can stomach another skunk though...i'm gonna suck it up and start hittin it sometime in mid june...skunk or no skunk.

5. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    ha ha hey if anyone catches a 15-20 pound cat out there with a pflueger reel and a allstar rod its mine! 300.00 outfit went poof yesterday i tried to pull my rod out theholder i was just cutting up bait when i got a hit i grabed my rod set the hook it made a run stright down the rod slipped out my hand and sniff sniff poof it was gone

6. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    yea i know what ya mean,i got a 7' eagle claw rod with an abu 6500 down on the bottom down there somewhere around the earth dam,i had one snatch it out of the rod holder drifting a couple of months ago,it was my fault though,i had been hung up and had tightened the drag tight down and evidently forgot to reset it,wasnt paying attention and heard a pop and looked around and looked like a yellow torpedo shooting thru the water,so much for that:lol:

7. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Thats the reason to buy a clicker reel, not too expensive and don't forget to release the spool before laying it down.

8. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    yea i like the clickers too,all my reels have em on em but you cant use the clickers drifting

9. jmcgill

jmcgill New Member

State:
    South Carolina

Yea i think the clickers are the best thing they ever came out with.