Lake Monticello, Anyone?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CarolinaCatter, May 27, 2006.

1. CarolinaCatter

CarolinaCatter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Has anyone been here latley? What's up?

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I haven't really heard much on Monty lately.

I shooting for a trip soon but only if the wind die down. My daughters last day of school is June 6 so we may go down. We stay all night and just sleep on the boat.

3. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    went to monty today caught about 10 chunky channels i couldn't buy a bite on white perch ,but some people had some nice blues caught on perch and bream back at the landing arond 20lbs i would guess.

4. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    there biting so so in deep water fishing about 8ft deep

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm thinking about going next week but I'm not sure which day yet. I asked my daughter about going and she didn't know if she wanted to go or not. So I might be alone sleeping in the boat one night. I guess I'll see next week.:smile2:

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    If all is well in my little world Tuesday, I fish Tuesday night on the upper portion of the lake. We may venture down the lake but I doubt it will be far because if a strom comes up quick, we'll be SOL. Not sure how long we'll stay but thinking about trying to sleep in the boat and fish through the night. If anybody will be down that way give us a holler.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well I made it down and had a great night but a little cool for June. I caught a few over night and the biggest came at 4:15am. Caught 15 or so after daylight, all on bluegill because I couldn't find any perch.

Oh yeah biggest was a 24 lbs blue, my biggest on Monty.

8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Congrats on the 24-pounder, Thomas :smile2: This was definitely a much better trip than you've been having lately. Maybe your jinx is over?

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well lets certainly hope so. I did knock my lantern over and busted the globe in the floor were I had been resting. Always a little something.:big_smile:

I'm not sure how much fishing I'll get to do between now and the first of July because I have to stay really close to home.

10. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    Thomas, congrats on a good trip and on the 24 lb Blue! I'd love to get a hold of one that size. My top right now is about 15 lb. Where exactly is Lake Monty? I'd like to try it sometime.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Lake Monticello is at Jenkinsville. The V.C.Summer Nuclear plant is on the lower side of the lake. When I put in the water was down about 6 feet but when I left it was back at full pool.

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    They must be finally finished spawning now, its usually about mid June when they really start turning on there.Glad you finally beat you record theys plenty more in there for you to keep on breakin it.I'm startin to have Monticello withdrawals I WILL be there next weekend though.

13. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    i went there yesterday windy as heck buttt i got a super spot to fish at right off the bank cought 4 nice large mouth bass 6 catfish none super big but not bad

as windy as it stays out there its always a good idea to cruz the banks looking for drop offs it will save a wasted trip on really windy days just fish off the bank . p,s the white perch are schooling pretty good out there also

14. CarolinaCatter

CarolinaCatter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good fish Riverrat. I know you were excited. I caught a 9lb4oz blue this week end on a jig and pig at Lake Robinson. Umm, yes I was &@$$ fishing.

15. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    went friday , there were a ton of people fishing most i ever seen! must be biting i hooked a catfish that broke a 200.00 allstar rod sounded like a shotgun going off i tumbed a ambassadeur 9000c to a halt trying to stop it then pow! it didnt break the line just snapped the rod about 20 minutes later it just came unhooked , best fight i ever had! too bad i never got to see the cat but man what excitment! ill be back illllll be back

16. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    George are you bank fishing Monty?

I just noticed the greatest sign on Monty my last trip down. "No Jet Skis or Water Skiing" I know to some that seems bad. The water level changes greatly during a 24 hour span so the shallow humps become exposed bars. Plus I don't care for "Jet Targets":big_smile: much anyways.

17. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    both sometimes in my boat sometimes on the bank , i spend alot of time cruzing the banks in my boat looking for spots to fish you would be suprised at what you can catch from the bank out there theres tons of spots you just got to be willing to walk , the area around the landing you can see from 215 has some good spots theres tons of land on the right side you can walk to just cruz the area in a boat look for deep dropoffs near the bank then when you got time walk to the spot you found , i always bring a 9ft surf rod 2 ounce weight for long casting a smaller outfit and a good bass rod outfit dont forget to bring a small saw to cut the branches around you i just carry a backpack with stuff i need , usally taking a boat out will out perform bank fishing but you know how monty is wind wind wind so bank fishing sometimes is waaaay better , i went monday and wednesday and bank fished wednesday i got 5 nice bass and 8 cats tuesday i got 3 bass and 10 cats
    friday when i went in the boat i cought 40-50 blues in the 2-4 pound range drifting in the deep water with floats at about 5ft deep , hooked the big one on a bream about 20ft in deep water, still cant get over how loud the pop was when the rod snapped

18. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I went out there saturday,kindof a spur of the moment decission the night before. I wasn't as prepared as I would have liked to have been. I had a couple pounds of shrimp in the freezer so I took that and went. I fished a hump near an island that a freind had shown me. We caught a good many fish but nothing to brag about. All in the 3 - 4lb range. Like somebody said before there were more boats out there than I had ever seen. We had a real good time all in all, got sun burned real bad though.I'm hurtin today. I don't know where they're at as far as spawning goes, but one of the channels I cleaned had about a thousand eggs in it. Next time I go I'm changing bait. What do you guys recomend? Any suggestions are appreciatted.

19. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    They are definatly on the spawn I thought it was over but I think its just got started full fledged.We caught 10 saturday nothing over 11lbs.I checked my notes and they didnt get off the spawn until the end of june last year so it shouldnt be long.Thats when you need to be there with big bait white perch bream and big gizzard shad.It seems like they bitein bream better this year.One of the best nights I've ever had anywhere was at monty right after the spawn.You have to use big bait to keep the little ones off of you.We where using 7 to 8 inch white perch with just the tail cut off and we where catching 3 and 4 pounders on them.So dont think that your using to big of a bait.

20. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    chrisblue I think I saw you saturday. Were you trolling around an island most of the morning? I'm just guessing by what I can see of your boat in your avatar. I was anchored in a white Hydro Sports bass boat.
    By the way I'm wanting to try trolling, how do ya'll recomend I start? Should I use floats or what? I have some freinds that troll a lot in Wylie where I mostly fish, but they mostly use bump rigs and fish right off the bottom. I don't think I could do that very well in Monty (too deep). But I don't know that's why I'm asking. Thanks