Lake Monticello Alert!!!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Jul 21, 2007.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Alright we all need to start workin together to get idiots that dont follow rules off of Lake Monticello.We had the conversation a while back about people waterskiing in there and thats one thing.Now my cousin just called me from the lake and said they where chasing a jug accross the lake with a huge fish on it, yes I said jug and hell no I dont like it.:angry: He also seen two more floating around but there was no fish on them.They caught up to the jug several times only to have it dissappear and pop back up a few minutes later.THey finnally got ahold of it and it broke the nylon line so it was a monster.If you see somebody settin out jugs,trotlines,checking baskets, waterskiing or jetskies call the number on the back of your license holder and report their a$$. I know I've said before that limited nongame fishing might help reduce the population of all the little ones in Monticello but right now its still against the law and it shouldnt be done until biologists and wildlife officers say otherwise. Monticello is a rare jewel and its gone take all of us to keep it that way.If somebody wants to set jugs they need to go somewhere else where its not against the law.I'm sick and tired of seein and hearin about this crap.

2. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I'm going tomorrow i'll keep my eyes open I.

3. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i just don't understand how people get away this stuff...chris is right....we will have to start calling in everything so they start paying attention to these poachers and the other law breakers taking advantage of our "ONLY TRUE FISHING LAKE":angry:

4. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Saw one the other day over my the bouy at the hump. Pulled up to it and grabbed it but it was attached to something on the bottom I guess. White, one gallon antifreeze type jug.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I gotta keep telling myself, "Don't beat the skiers and juggers with the boat paddle." I have several phone numbers on my cell for DNR and sheriff depts. Still gonna have to keep from beating them down, won't be easy either.

6. turk

turk New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was fishing monticello yesterday and saw a pontoon pulling a waterskier around down near the dam.:eek:oooh:

7. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I just wish we had a lake or two in N.C. that prohibits all that ya'll mentioned in your posts. Good luck on keeping it that way.

8. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    The skiers were out agin today I think that at least 2 of them have houses on the lake and i'm afraid we will see more since there is more land for sale these days. I didn't see any jugs and i was looking for them. I also didn't see any big fish just big gust of wind that liked to change direction every time i got anchored good.

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Reporting a few registration #'s to the man might solve the ski deal. It is kind of hard to hide that kind of thing. Even better, how about taking along a camcorder to record some of the infractions and send that.

10. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    This lake is really a fishermans dream come true. Not suppose to be bothered with commerical fishing, jet skis or water skiers. Wish more lakes were this way especially on weekends. If I get close enough to get a registration number you can bet it will be called in.

11. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Good idea Roger I usually have my camcorder with me.

12. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I know some of them live there. You can go up into the coves with houses and see the tubes on the pontoon boats. I got checked by a game warden on wylie the other day, and I told him they need to spend more time on monticello. He acted like it pissed him off. I told him it was really getting out of hand with all the skiers and everybody breaking the law. He said call the number on back of your lisence. And walked off. I guess he thought I was trying to tell him how to do his job. So from now on I'm not hesistating one bit. I'm calling.

13. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The more I fish at Monticello, the more skiing and tubing traffic I see. This is truly a gold mine for fishing and it is a shame to see it come to this. I'll do my part to report wrong doings as I see it. Thank you for the concern.

14. Cat Lady

Cat Lady New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm a beginner, and will take any advise I can get. Once again, thanks for the information.:roll_eyes: