Lake Monticello 8/12

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by AgentDuder, Aug 13, 2007.

1. AgentDuder

AgentDuder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Went fishing on Monticello on Sun the 12 at around 2:30pm. Had two line down line between 30 and 50 ft, two free lines, and two lines on corks around two to four feet. On the corks we were using cut bait and shrimp on the other lines we were using cut bait. Caught 27, 2 pounders. The smallest was maybe 1 lbs and the biggest 3- 3 1/2 lbs. We were drifiting in deep water. About 7:00pm the bite just shut down.....maybe had something to do with the sun coming out, as before that it was overcast.

The cool thing was that when the rods would go off it would be a cork and a down rod or a free line. There was no pattern to the fish. They would either bite or not. When they were biting they were bitting everthing.

Another cool/ funny/ sad thing that happened was one of Skipper's down rods on the back of the boat was pulled out of the rod holder, in slow motion, to the deep dark abyss. We laughed about this all day but could never figure out how it got out of the trolling rod holder on the back of my center console.

I used the upper ramp, and on the return trip, after the water had dropped, found the hole at the end of the ramp. My boat suffered no damage. However my boat on its first fishing trip after just three times in the water, this hole did cause me some anxiety.

All in all a great fishing day. Oh yea....there were no other boats on the deep water with us.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Sounds like you had a good time, even though you lost a rig :crazy: There's some lunkers in Monty, that's fer sure - maybe you'll get into some next time!

3. AgentDuder

AgentDuder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Patman,

We werent really looking for big ones...just eating size....so we were really happy about the catch..just not losing the rig.....but hey it was skipper's and he wanted some new ones so it kinda worked out.....:wink:

4. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Good numbers congrats:big_smile:

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Anytime you catch that many fish it is fun!!! :wink:

6. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Glad you had a good time. I was out there saturday night and had a terrible trip. Drifted some right before dark with no success. And when it got dark the wind let go. We anchored and let it beat the crap out us till 1:30. The waves were rolling in smacking the boat and misting us with water the whole time. Caught one fish about 4 lbs, and had one get off that felt a lot bigger. The wind can take the best lake to fish and turn it into the worst lake. But its all good.
    And the boat ramp is ragedy. I had to drop my tires off the edge loading and unloading.

7. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like a good trip to me. I've done the same thing. Go for the big ones but catch a load of eaters. All in a good days fishing. Beats working!!!!:big_smile:

8. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Glad to know that they are at least biting. Maybe that is a good sign for sat.

9. johnboy

johnboy New Member

State:
    Columbia SC
    thats exactly the way its been for me the last few weeks at Monty....all you want to catch of the small ones till dark.....nothin but wind and waves after dark....then there are those bigguns that bite every now and then..........

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Sounds like y'all had fun. Theres plenty of eaters in Monty and they can be caught from most any depth, its the big fish that are harder to pinpoint.