Lake Monticello 7\19

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Jul 21, 2008.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    My wifes kid brother asked to take him fishing Saturday, he really had to twist my arm :wink:. At least the wife didn't complain since I was taking her kid brother. We managed to boat 17 cats and 1 large white perch. No big cats, 8 pounds was the top fish. We caught most on herring, but the big one was on a magic shrimp. The perch hit a herring on a 6\0 circle hook. I've never had that to happen before.

The water temp was a little cooler, about 83. We found fish in 12 to 25 feet of water, but did catch a couple in 50 feet. The wind was out of the north to northwest, opposite of the norm for Monty. I had to adjust greatly, most of my normal drift areas were oriented wrong to fish from the northwest. I guess that was good, because I found a very productive long point and ledge that I had never fished before. I guess that shows that we need to be always on the look out for new areas instead of concentrating only on those we know.

The brother in law had a great time. He had only bank fished prior to Saturday. I think I have him hooked. Whenever the wife is a snit, I'll offer to take him and maybe get out of her hair for a while without too much of fuss!:roll_eyes:

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    17 kitties is a great day, Steve! And don't ever be surprised at the power of the magic shrimp :wink: Thanks for the report.

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Congrats on the catch.:wink: 17 is a great day and Patmansc loves reports of the magic shrimp catching them big fish. Thanks for the report.

4. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hey Pat,

Lets talk shrimp. I've heard folks say "gotta peel 'em", "gotta soak 'em", "gotta spice 'em" and all kinds of other advice. Personally, I spike 'em with minced garlic and fish them in the shell. I may use a little to much garlic though, had a fellow 50 yards away in fog bank say "I can't see you, but I can sure smell you!":eek:oooh:. I put them in zip-lock bags and refreeze the left overs till they get mushy or start to stink - that's relative with all of the garlic!

Steve

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Steve, I've heard of people marinating their shrimp in various concoctions before using them - very often garlic or anise. Personally, I just use'em plain with the shells on, which I believe helps keep them on the hook better. Sometimes, though, when all I can get is frozen shrimp, I'll thaw'em out under my armpit for a few minutes. This works out pretty good during the summer months, but then my wife gets upset 'cause she sez it screws up the laundry, plus she makes me wash up with the hose outside before she'll let me in the house. I mostly use shrimp while fishing for channels, and have never tried them on Monty. HOWEVER: next time I go there I'm gonna get some jumbo shrimp & try'em whole, along with herring & perch. Who knows, I'm may just find a monster that's in the mood for a shrimp appetizer :wink:

6. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    ......and this point you found.....the GPS coordinates are what??:smile2::roll_eyes::smile2:

7. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Shrimp under the arm pit? What is this some kind of secret marinade? :crazy: Is that with or without deodorant? :confused2: Wouldn't it be the same effect to leave out in the sun to rot for a few hours?:eek:oooh:

As for the GPS cooridinates, I can't afford a GPS unit so look for cows in the water and back up 2 coves. Start at the large light green pine tree with 2 robins sitting on the fourth limb from the top and drift till you see a large goofy looking duck with a raspy quack. Once you get to the duck its time to turn around and start all over again.

By the way, how do you keep from getting frost bite to the arm pits with frozen shrimp marinating under there? Have you tried sitting on them instead? They may not have to marinate as long that way.

8. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: Thats where I drift too!:smile2: Can Pat pre sit on them shrimps at home?:smile2:

9. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Maybe we can get Pat to start a new bait shop, hire school kids to sit on shrimp while they do their homework. "Pat's magic marinated shrimp, inc.":cool2:

10. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    What would the price be for a pound of Magic Crack Shrimp?:smile2:

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on a good day on the water!

12. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree with yall. I hardly ever go fishing without a few shrimp in the boat.

But I peel mine. I've had better luck peeled than unpeeled.