Lake Monticello 6/1

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Jun 1, 2007.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Me and Brad (Catchaser) got out on the lake today.Nice conditions but a little warm.We tried one spot with nothin to show for but Brad said he had his lucky shirt on so somethin good had to happen.We relocated and before we got all the rods out a 26 lb freight train hits which was Brads PB blue.We caught 17 out of the 18 we caught in that one spot.We had a flury of bites with several teenagers and a 22lbr and everything gets a little quiet, I give it the traditional "Lets give it 15 more minutes" almost excactly 15 minutes went by and at 12:50 the rod to my right goes down and I step out of the way and tell Brad to get it because thats just the kind of guy I am.By 1:00 we finally got the 53.9 lb blue in the boat which was Brads PB again.That was a hard fightin fish.The lucky shirt payed off today.Heres some pics.

Attached Files:

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Heres 22 and 26

Attached Files:

3. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    VVVVVVVVvery nice!!!!!!!!!Who's is that lucky guy? Great day on the water, Best day ever for me, really enjoyed it! For all of you who think you cant catch a grown fish in the middle of the day, with the sun blazin', and a full moon, here's the proof! I would never believed it myself! Aint Chris a swell guy, He'll probably have night mares about stepping out of the way!, Thanks again Chris, for the new p.b.s! Oh yeah one heck of a fight, that you would have had to see! I was just amazed!

4. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Great day guys one heck of a blue. Chris u killin me with all these great trips I want to go so bad I can't stand it. Maybee I'll make it down next weekend.

5. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    good job fellas,i'm kinda like beaufort,i'm ready to get back down myself,but got the next 2 weekends tied up for wateree deals,maybe we can latch on to a couple big uns there,congrats on the big un brad

6. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    "simpsonator" strikes yet again!!!!!!!!!...and still with all those pictures no depth finder behind you with the gps cooridnates:big_smile:...congradulations fellas!!!!

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Good lord man, you're killing me.

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Great trip men,Chris, you've riuned him man. He won't be worth shooting now. You suppose to make him earn those kind dude. Brad congrats on land Dude Love. You've met you qouta for the year, and maybe next, so step aside , and get the net man. :lol:

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    So, as you made a dash for the rod, you tripped, and being the man that he is, Brad was obliged to pick up the rod and land the fish for ya! :big_smile:
    Great job and pics, guys. Keep up the reports.

10. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.

Amen to that.:lol:

11. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Nice catch Chris, just got a copy of the Catfish Now mag and that article on you is a good one! A couple question sbaout those fish ya'll got. I figured the blues would have been on the beds right now and those fish didn't even look like they had really swollen bellies. The fish up this way are about to pop and I think now they are on the beds. Also, how deep and were you anchored or drifting. Thanks Chris!

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    All the fish we caught had bite marks, jaw prints from big fish and scratches all over their body so the spawn is on pretty good but I think some are already comin off and some are gettin ready.I think the big fish was in the procese of gettin ready to spawn.These blues in Monticello dont get fat like those Tillery and Badin blues do, not even in the spring, I wish they did though.I dont know how anybody would ever be able to verify it completely but I sware the blues at Monticello spawn in depths of at least 50 foot or more.Theres no shallow water anywhere on the lake not even in the backs of coves to provide suitable spawnin habitat.We caught all the fish in 45 foot or deeper anchored and like I said almost all of em had fresh and I mean fresh battle scares on them, fresh to the point to where it seems like they are spawnin at those depths.We got one 8 lbr and it looked like we just pulled it out of a 40 lbrs mouth, it had perfect jaw prints on it.Still bleeding and everything.I'm sure some rocket sergeon will say I'm wrong about the deep water spawnin thing but I dont know anywhere else they could spawn on that lake.

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I had planned on going to Greenwood this week if all was well but now I'm thinking about fishing through the night on Monty. I'd like a good fish this year because last year was ok but could have been better.

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm fairly much with you on that. They spawn in the rocks around the dam some but thats some deep water also. With the flux in the water stage they would almost have to spawn deep just to stay in the water.

15. Lgj3truvistanet

Lgj3truvistanet New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sorry it has taken so long to get this posted, but I was on the old site and cound not get to the new one. Anyway Me, Mike, and my Grandson Douglas wnet out on Monticello with Chris, and wow. What a great day it was, 10 cats, the biggest caught by Douglas, and that's what I wanted. The others 9 were great also, ranging from about 5 to 25, with plenty 15+ fish.

The picture used up by my ID is of Chris and Douglas holding the big one.

16. davidcarolina

davidcarolina New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Great day for sure. Good job Chris and crew..

17. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Chris

We caught a few nice blues from H20ee last night and they looked beaten and battered. Some fins were scraped to the bone and bodies looked like they had been dragged down the road. They are nesting big time so the bite should get better in a couple weeks.

18. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Way to go guys! Chris I know those big blues are in there, just can't break that 35 lb mark on Monticello my self, but when I do and you know I will, You will be the first one I call LOL . Good job . I still say it's the shoes right. LOL Or may be you need a lower GI find that horse shoe. See ya on the lake.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good trip Chris. Flopeye told me about your catch last night. Like Rodger said, the fish from Wateree look beaten and battered!! Scars, fins torn up, just a mess!!! :crazy:

So, what is the target you are aiming for on Monti this summer? 70? 75? 80?

20. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Aiming for 135 but I'll take anything under that weight.:big_smile: Dream big if you gone dream right?