Lake Monticello 10\04\08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Oct 6, 2008.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Had a beautiful day Saturday. I ended up going by myself, my BIL did not behave last week (he has a drinking problem), so I left him at home. I've kept him straight for 6 weeks by taking him fishing only if he stays straight, didn't make it this week.:sad2:

I started off in my normal place, creek mouths, and didn't get a bite. I didn't see any fish or bait fish on the fishfinder, either. After about a hour of searching I decided to go deeper. Found lots of fish in 60 to 90 feet. I ended up catching 16 fish, all but 1 were blues, the other a 5 pound channel. The 2 best looked like twins, 1 was 17 pounds and the other 16.5 pounds. Both of them came out of 90 feet of water, one right after the other. I had a couple that would go around 10 pounds and the rest were 5 - 8 pounders. All were released except 2 for the table.

All were caught on large gizzard shad, butterfly cut and fished on the bottom. The wind was totally still, so I fished 2 rods out the back and 2 out the side, bumping the trolling motor very slowly. Sorry Patmansc, the magic marinated shrimps did not produce a single bite. I must not have marinated them long enough.:angry:

There were several catfishermen out Saturday, and I had the opportunity to talk to several of them. A couple of them helped me when my boat hung up on the end of the trailer while launching. Somehow the bow line got twisted up on the end and wouldn't come loose. Those guys kept me from getting my feet wet to release it. I enjoyed the fellowship of fishing around other catters. Stopped and talked to some and shared a few laughs.

God Bless All,
    Steve

2. Freeman.360

Freeman.360 Guest

yea ive been huntin the big boys over there lately and havent gotten much over 20 pounds. but it sounds like you had a good time. you have any drifting tips for there

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good, honest report! Thanks!
    Bill in SC

4. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Freeman.360,
    I don't really have have any magic tidbits on catching cats. My best days are when I find the baitfish and stay with them all day. The cats will always be close to the diner table. Kind of like Baptists, huh. Use the fishfinder to locate the bait and you will see fish on the bottom. Good luck.

God Bless All,
    Steve

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Glad ya had a good day catching.:big_smile: Sat must have been a good day. My buddy Bruce was there and had a great day! wish ya could have met him, he's a great guy. He'll be doing a report as soon as he can get the pics on the computer. I know there was a 40 and 55 lber caught:big_smile:. Thanks for the report.