Lake Monticello 1/27

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Jan 27, 2007.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Well today was one of those days that you start questioning your ability as a fisherman.Pitiful, the worst day I've had on that lake in years.The shad are bunched up but way up in the water column, the fish under them are not aggressive.I think we finally managed to catch 7 or 8 fish all where from 3/4 of a lb to 3 lbs and one around 20lbs that hit after tournament hours.Brandon(Beaufort) got to catch it.One of my other buddies that was there caught a 36lb fish the first 2 minutes he was there and then nothin over 3 lbs the rest of the day.That 36 lb fish could have possibly won the tournament if it had of been today.I hope things pick up some before tournament time because its gone be a small weigh in if they dont.It's been a long time since I've seen lockjaw like this.How bout you Scott did yall do any good?

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i wasnt in the boat with you thats for sure. we had to dream/wish in my boat.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, I was by there today, around noon or so I guess. Looked around for you truck, but missed it somehow. The parking area was pretty full, and I just made a quick scan. I've never been there, so I cut by just to see what it looked like, on my way upstate. Pretty nice looking lake, and somehow bigger than I expected.:smile2:

4. FLAT

FLAT New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    had been just a little bit of wind so you could drift a little,things would have been a lot different.
    ha ha ha
    I caught one about 3.Monk caught one 1.5 lbs. oh yea,at 4:45 "MONK" caught one that was at least 40. We didn't have scales,but I'm sure it would go 40.---Almost forgot--that one I caught--I caught it on a spoon jiging for perch--it was almost 3 inches long,not three pounds--spoon weighed more than the catfish.I thought catfish were born bigger than that.
    and thanks again Chris--good luck with the tournment next week

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Good luck next week.

It can be a tough lake, which is the norm for me.

I hope to go Wednesday but nothing is set in stone.

6. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    It was a frustraiting day for the most time , but i still had a great time and got one of my biggest monty cats so far. I can't wait to go back.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Was you at the boat ramp on the north end or the one closest to the power plant?

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    At least yall got to break that new sea ark in with a 40lb catfish slime in the bottom of it.

9. catfishing365

catfishing365 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I also was fishing monty yesterday and caught 11 but nothing to brag about, anywhere from .5 to 3 lbs big fish in at 16 lbs. I had an 1.5lb cut fish on hook, I let it sit for about 15 min, and all of a sudden it took off,well needless to say my itchy trigger finger got me in trouble.I rared back to put one of those famous Bill Dance sets on the fish and when I did, you would have thought my bait fish grew wings. Overall had alot of fun but not very productive.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I was at the one on the north end, Chris. I didn't think to look for your vehicle until I was heading out of the parking area, so it would have been easy to miss.
    I made a circuit around the south and east sides, by the ramp at the north, then headed back to I26 and Anderson area to meet up with sds888.
    I might try to get back up there sometime and fish, but it won't be right away.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like a bunch of pre tournament hype to psyche out the fishermen. :big_smile:

Mudkip and I had plans to pre-fish this week, but that fell through, so we will be fishing blind Saturday. :cool2:

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Alright theres been alot of talk about the Tillery tournament this weekend but what about the Monticello tournament this weekend.Who all is plannin to be there? Dieter dont worry, like I said before that fishin blind thing can pay off in a big way.When you get stubborn and fish the same way over and over like I do on Monticello it can backfire on you.I've seen it happen when the santee guides get outfished on their home waters by somebody thats never fished the lake before.With the way the fishin was saturday all its gonna take is one big fish, pretty much whoever the fish gods like that day.If the bite picks back up to normal its gone take a 5 fish limit of atleast 100lbs but winter time can be a roller coaster ride at Monticello so who knows.So lets get a checklist.

13. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Me and my brother[Jeff] will be there,and he said a couple of guys he works with are planning on attendingI too hope the bite picks up,we didnt do too good 2 weeks ago down there,but have done fairly well at other times,i guess time will tell,we will be there too make our donation anyway,probably to Chris,I think you just baiting us up on that bad trip you had last week,what ya think?:lol: Look foward to meeting you other guys also and hopefully the weather wont be too big of an issue especially the wind,see yall saturday. Marty

14. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am with you marty, chris is just trying to make people think they may have a shot:big_smile: . I am gonna try to make it, i was planning on fishing thurs but that may fall through. They are calling for some ugly weather this weekend cold and windy but we will see. i will prob. make a donation also.

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Man, yall are tryin to jinx me again.:lol: The way my luck has been goin lately I'll be lucky to make it there without somethin tearin up and even luckier if I catch fish.

16. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Chris, how many people can we get on your boat?

Why don't we just write you a check and you take us fishing and let us catch all the big fish? :tounge_out:

I am messing with ya. :big_smile: I know how that kind of bite can be on some lakes. Hopefully it will turn out to be a good bite for everyone and it will come down to a close finish with 90-100 pounds winnning. Personally, I would love to show up at the scales with 90 pounds of fish!!

17. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I got a bad feelin that this front coming threw is gonna really make things hard. :sad2:

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Ya? Well I got a bad feeling this guy in the post above this one is gonna kick everyones BUTT!!! :lol:

Yes, I know what you are thinking, we are trying really hard to jinx you!!!