Lake Monroe help

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by chubbahead, Jun 16, 2009.

1. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    What's up Indiana. Me, my girlfriend and my parents are heading to Brown County here soon. The plan is that my GF and my Mom will be shopping, while my Father and I will be fishing. We are from Dayton, OH and have never been to Brown County or Lake Monroe. I was hoping you guys could help me out a little.

I have searched the internet, but I can not find a map of the lake with depths and creek channels. I always fish rivers, the Great Miami to be exact, so I am very inexperienced with lakes. One thing I do know though, is that knowing the creek channels is a must in a lake. Does anyone know where I can find a decent map on the net. If not, would you recommend one in a nearby baitshop.

I will not have a boat. I am hoping to target flatheads from the bank. Are there that many accessible bank spots around the lake that are worthy?

I am hoping to catch bluegills and shad at the lake. Is there a popular shad spot that can be reached from the bank?

Thanks for all the help you guys might be able to give me. I'd really love to get into some flats while visiting!

Oh yeah, if you have any restaurant recommendations around the lake or in Brown County, that would be appreciated too!

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It's not like I've fished that lake a bunch, but flatties havent ever been hard to find in there when I have. If your stuck to the banks. Find the biggest rockiest banks you can get to. and fish it with live BG.. at 6 pm -11 pm... I'd be real surprised if you didnt catch a flattie. Really my opinion is that there are state record flatties lurking all over that lake.
    I'm gonna put some pressure on it some this year myself. Good luck and keep us posted!

3. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I don't remember exactly where, but Lake Monroe has a fishing pier with a 30'-40' drop as you cast out. I wish I could help more.

4. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I believe this pier that dls is talking about is just to the right of cutright ramp.. as for shad go to the dam tailwaters with a dip net and you can catch numerous shad right next to the railing...there is a baitshop on your way to cutright ramp i cant remeber for the life of me what its called but its a big one you will n=know when you have found it and the also have a lot of bait... as for restaraunts i would maybe recommend something in bloomington or perhaps in brown county itself

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes, eat there in Nashville In. Its located in the center and not far from the lake.. Great Little place to shop too.. But riverbuggy filled you in on the rest

6. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    sweeet I finally helped someone out on here

7. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    so lets go fishing after i get off work tonight shane do a little bank fishing at 39

8. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Try hitting up the Fishing Shed. Its on 446 between Monroe and Bloomington. They usually know whats being caught and where. Like Dr. Pepper said, fish the rocks. If you can find a big downed tree it will be good for a fish or two. The smaller ones seem to like shad but almost all my big ones outa Monroe were caught on Bluegill. Try floating one near some wood structure.

9. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    i go there with my brother every year at least 6 or 7 times during the spring and summer. River buggy is right about the tail water of the dam. Thers a parking lot that takes you right to the tail waters. And after you catch some bait walk over the other side of the dam and throw out from shore. Theres plenty of rock, trees and other structure them flat boys like under that water. Theres some BIG catfish in front of that dam!

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I went to a well known university close to there and used to spend some weekends boozing it up with my friends. I can't help you the bass and catfishing but, I did catch a crapload of bluegills and crappies right off the docks at the marina. If they are still there, the bait shacks are right there next to the dock. There are signs that say NO FISHING from docks, but I learned if you buy bait and tackle from the shack, they don't care.

You may also wanna take a look at Lake Lemon, that's where I caught my PB Indiana largemouth bass.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Fisherman's Dock
    Nick's English Pub
    The Irish Lion

Visit the greatest university in the state of Indiana! GO HOOSIERS!:cool2:

12. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    You mean the greatest university in the country right Tan? :smile2: And I hope I don't break your heart but the Fishermans Dock is closed.

I would also go to Nick's English Pub, great food and a great little pub. Go upstairs and play Sink the Biz with some of the college kids :big_smile:

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Dammit!:confused2: I loved that place!

One suggestion is to go drink a Hairy Bear from Bear's Place on Third Street. It will make you want to climb walls!:smile2::cool2:

But the overall best eatery in Monroe and Brown County is obviously LA BAMBAS! Make sure you are really tanked and wasted and it's so so so GOOD!

14. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    SOUNDS LIKE U HAD A GOOD TIME HERE IN B-TOWN BLACKY:wink:

15. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    when are we going to get that boat of urs out Malcom?

16. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey shane when we gonna get the hooker out on monroe

17. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Tan, I hate to be the bearer of more bad news. But La Bambas is closed too. It closed it's doors last year. I went back up to visit last year and we walked there from Bluebird and it was gone! I almost sat on the curb and cried.

There is a new place on the square that is excellent. It is called Grazi's. It is an Italian joint. If you head north on College. it is one way so u cant go anyway but north :big_smile: It is excellent food and it is where I always took a girl for a date, but come to think of it, I didn't have too mnay second dates so maybe it's not as great as I remember it :smile2: