Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
My buddy and i went down to Monroe last week. I have a 20 foot lowe catfish. We fished the pinegrove ramp area. Went up into the creek portion and anchor fished for a while. Its got some killer structure. We were using cut shad, live shad, live gills for bait. Fished a 6 rod spread with an assortment of live and cut bait. We caught a couple of channels in the 4-6 pound range. Nothing of size. After we did that for a couple of hours we switched gears and put the dragging weights on. We drifted south of the pinegrove ramp where the finger opens up. Average depth around 6-8ft. Caught about 10 channels, the biggest being 10lbs.
Needless to say we struck out on the flatheads and the blues. We are returning on Wednesday to redeem ourselves. Anyone have any suggestions/tips to help us get on the big ones? not asking for specific spots, but trying to get a handle on this reservoir fishing (we are avid river fisherman).
Thanks,
Flapper Ron

·
Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
2,166 Posts
Monroe has been a challenging lake for me over the years. Reservoir flatheads always seem hard to come by and require a lot of time and a decent amount of luck to catch. Sounds like you did well on channels.
Blue cats in reservoirs are a dime a dozen down in southern states, but they don't seem to populate as well this north. Any blues I've caught in indiana reservoirs have been caught while dragging for channels. And they have been few and far between.
Good luck out there!

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi Aaron, welcome to the USCA forum. Good place to talk catfish.

What part of the state are you from? Several of us in the central Indiana area.

I have caught a few channels at Monroe but that is it. For flatheads I would try the feeder creeks or close to that area. If you are looking for Blues, I would take a can of spray paint. Sorry, to have to say that. That lake could be an excellent lake for Blue cats with the good channel structure and deep water but the state doesn't seem to want to put them in. Guess they figure it would be too hard on the bass population. Brookville is the only one I have heard that has Blues and I have never fished there.

I would head for the feeder creeks and treat it like a small river, fishing the structure. The Pinegrove area would be my best guess for flats.

tight lines

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Aaron-
Welcome. I live in the area of Monroe. If you're looking for Blue Cats I would fish the Ohio River. No Blues in Monroe. However, there are some big Flatheads and larger Channel Cats. Flatheads, look for the submerged trees and stump fields. ICA holds tourneys here every now and then. Don't forget to fish the other side of the lake(if you can handle the pleasure boaters). Lots of main-lake points, flats next to the old creek channels, humps, etc. You should try drifting out around Fairfax Peninsula, its where the Walleyes hang out during the summer months. That means baitfish and other whiskered predators......

Monroe seems to be a challenge, but the fish are there.

Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Aaron, welcome to the USCA forum. Good place to talk catfish.

What part of the state are you from? Several of us in the central Indiana area.

I have caught a few channels at Monroe but that is it. For flatheads I would try the feeder creeks or close to that area. If you are looking for Blues, I would take a can of spray paint. Sorry, to have to say that. That lake could be an excellent lake for Blue cats with the good channel structure and deep water but the state doesn't seem to want to put them in. Guess they figure it would be too hard on the bass population. Brookville is the only one I have heard that has Blues and I have never fished there.

I would head for the feeder creeks and treat it like a small river, fishing the structure. The Pinegrove area would be my best guess for flats.

tight lines[/QUOT
Im from Indianapolis and fish the white river. Most of the big fish have been nabbed by pay lakers and CF on the indy stretch. Lucky to get anything over 15lbs. Trying to find new spots that arent too far worth a darn.

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi Aaron, read this last night but didn't have enough signal to reply. Always good to have another Hoosier in the group. The Pinegrove area would (to me) be the best area to try for flats on Monroe. Second choice would be Ramp Creek. The large cove, center lake on the north side. Be extremely careful in there. It is fun of submerged standing timber. Can be hard on props and transducers. Timber tends to follow the original creek edge.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Hi Aaron,
Sorry been working a lot and didn’t notice the post.
I fish Monroe a lot... Pine Grove is good Ramp creek as well and there are flatheads in there but Tom is right - watch the flooded timber! If the water is around normal pool some will be exposed but most will be just deep enough to hit. Lots of guys go in and out there so it’s very doable just be cautious till you learn where they are.
Find the bait and you’ll find the cats. For what it’s worth, my best success with flatheads there has been in coves....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hit me up next time you might want to try monroe, I live pretty close to the lake. I tend to put in at allens creek (party cove) as it's the closest ramp to my house. I don't catfish the lake much usually if I hit monroe I'm after bass or crappie. And really only hit it when the ef white isn't at good fishing levels/clarity. Monroe has some big channel cats, I have never got a flat out of it. But I know there are some big ones in it I've seen pictures of them. Don't be afraid to fish the fast side flats near the creek channel drifting baits your likely to get some big channels, maybe even a hybrid mixed in which are fun to catch. That lake has lots of little crappie and yellow bass, I keep meaning to go out after crappie/yellows and keep some of them alive to try as live bait for catfish at night. The amount of little yellow bass, and dink crappie in that lake I know have got to be a food source for big flats and channels in that lake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts