Lake Monroe Catfish, HELP!

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by SkiMax, Aug 15, 2006.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Me and a buddy are gonna head to Lake Monroe for a few days of crappie/catfishing. I have never been able to get on the catfish in the summer months much. All we ever catch is small channels. Anybody wanna give up some information on some better spots for blues/flatheads? I would greatly appreciate it and send some rep your way, thanks!

2. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Max...I will be fishing off the beach wall at Fairfax on Thursday night and Friday..you should drop by and say hey if you are there.I hear there are some nice fish there with some nice flatheads being caught. Also, I have caught some blues and channels off the point at Paynetown. A buddy of mine swears by going in to the creek fed coves as far as you can and finding structure. Hope this helps a bit.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I might be there still thursday. If so, we have room for one more in our boat, you are welcome to join us. But if not I will be back at IU in a couple weeks, we'll have to get together and fish then! Thanks for the help!

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The area around Paynetown is good for Blues... I have caught several there and i have caught a few flatheads south of Paynetown at the Main tournament Boatramp.. Dont recall the name... and the bridge that you go over just before you get there produces Flatheads and Blues... There is a pull off just at the entrance.. and there is a trail you can walk down to the lake..... By the way its the bridge that seperates the main lake for the no wake part... im sure you know what im talking about..... but try there with some Live shad,bluegill...or whatever your bait of choice may be.. just be careful cause it is exteamly rocky on the bottom... . But i promise the area does produce fish... when im down that way thats where i end up.... Let me know how it goes...

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    thanks for the advice! we just talked about fishing around the causeway and seeing what happens. We got bluegill and are gonna net some shad. So we'll see how it goes. thanks again!

6. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    The causeway is good for some flats but i dont see alot come out of there... but i do see some huge hybrid stripers come out... they are fun to catch...

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Well we went out last night for about 6 hours. We got 7 real nice shad, about a dozen bluegill and countless little shad in our cast net. We also had worms and liver. We first set up at the causeway. We caught a few small channels but decided to move. We ended up out on the no wake zone on a point. The thermocline was kinda hard to mark so we anchored in 16 feet of water. We picked up a few more little channels here and 2 wipers. Both were around 3 pounds. I had one nice run on bluegill. Took off, I picked the pole up, he was still running like crazy, I set the hook-nothing. Didn't even feel him. I thought that only happened in the Ohio with gar, but owell. Thanks for all the help guys and hope to wet a line and drown some bait with you guys sometime!

8. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear you didnt find the monster you was looking for... At least you did catch a few.. so congrats on that..... Did you try near the bridge ( underpass to the no wake zone )?......

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    yeah we did. We fished right there. I had a big lively shad out under the bridge and a bluegill along the rocks. We were sitting right on the no wake side of the bridge. If I would have had more time I would have liked to go way up the creek into the standing timber and fished for some flatties, owell there's always next time!

10. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Put in at the causeway and head east. Fish along the banks.