Lake Michigan SteelHead

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Tip123Q, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Tip123Q

Tip123Q New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Every year my dad and i take a trip up to lake Mi for salmon in the fall but i was wondering about the steel head, and if the fishing is good? We normally fish in the bay or by the DNR office, have we missed the run?
    Thanx,
    -Tip---

2. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    I doubt you missed the run, but heck it's been twenty years since I last fished Lake Michigan. I was seven at the time, and it was late August, and my Dad and I caught them out over open water somewhere. I've been planning on going up there sometime myself to catch them during their run. I Got some research to do! I'll let you know what I find.

3. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana

I haven't been there since early July, but I beleive they are still catching some summer run steelies in the mouths of the tribs up that way. You can probably find some more info on www.steelheadsite.com. Its a good site if you can ignore all the arguing on the forums. Tight Lines and Screamin Clickers to ya!

4. Tip123Q

Tip123Q New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah My Dad and I were there saturday night and some pple said that we missed one of the main runs but it should probly be starting back up soon, The guy who told us that was also whisker fishing and had a couple one pound cats.....me on the other hand i had no luck at all :sad2:

5. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I lived in Michigan for many years, and went every year when they were running up the rivers. Man, that was a sight to see! We fished below the dams of course, shoulder to shoulder with a kazzilion other guys. No one would be catching fish then you would see down the line people haveing fish on....
    coming up like dominos.
    Before you knew it, tons of steel heads tring to get up the dam. Lots of them going sideways and ending up on the bank to be kicked in by fisherman.
    Pretty cool fishing but it was always very cold. I remember having to break the ice forming on the eyelets.

6. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Finally something I know a little about.
    I recently sold my boat up in Portage IN and I'm guessing from previous years the Steelies have made there way up in to the river/creeks. Usually a hard rain about the last couple of weeks of August sends them up. A couple of good forums with reports are:

www.glangler.com

www.great-lakes.org

Good Luck!