Lake Mead... Need Help...

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by savage308, Mar 9, 2007.

1. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I will be taking my wife to Las Vegas next week. I would like to do some fishing while we are up there. I've done some checking online and would like some answers to some questions, from anyone who fishes that lake or has fished that lake in the past. I have done some research online, and other than just blindly picking someone to fish with, I am relying on some help from our fellow members. Please PM me with any information that might be helpful.

Please do not post any guides information on this thread as it may be against the rules and regs.

PM me with any information you might find helpful.

Thanks,
    Shelby

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Or any of the surrounding waterways?

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Bumping this thread back to the top.... Anybody????

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    u should post this in the ca section and nevada section but if i remember right mead only has trout in it but i could be wrong i have been before

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    lake meade has more than just trout in it. i've never fished it. but, my father retired in las vegas and used to go fishing all the time. he used to catch pretty big stripers. my ex, and i went on vacation there one time and we stopped at the dam gift shop. straight down from the gift shop (100 foot drop or better) was schooling catfish. i have never seen colors on catfish like these. they looked like blues. with very thick muscle bound heads. but, they were black, white and spotted.some had black heads and white bodies. some vica-versa. but all of them had one thing in commom. THEY WERE LARGE! A lot of people throw popcorn and stuff over the wall right there to feed them. thats what had them schooling right there. I promised myself the next time i went my abu's were going with me. i would suggest looking into public access areas. do some internet research. try google earth....

6. askins00

askins00 New Member

State:
    California
    Hey, I haven't fished Lake Maed in forever but the last time I was there we went to overton beach. We left the marina and went to the right to an area with cattail reeds everwhere. Hope this helps.

7. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Haven't fished Mead in several years. But, we always used to fish the Overton area. Used to catch bass, catfish, crappie and stripers. Water level is so low now that you had probably try get some info from locals. Good Luck.

8. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    As Rick said, I have not been to Mead in a very long time. The water levels are probably pretty low this time of year.

From what I have heard, the stripers have gone crazy at Mead and Powell over the last few years. Population levels have been pretty high. If you are looking to catch catfish or stripers, the best thing to do is use anchovies at night. Ask anyone at a marina bait shop for whole anchovies.

This will definately catch the stripers and sometimes will catch the catfish. You will just have to fish in different locations. If you want to try the stripers, get about three bags of anchovies. Go to the end dock of a marina and set up. Thaw a couple bags of anchovies out and smoosh them up. Cut the bags with a knife and drop the bag over the side into the water with some rope and chum the water up good. Hook up a 1/2 piece of anchovy on each hook and drop it down about 60-80 feet. You can also take some small pieces of anchove and cut them up and use them for chum. At Powell the stripers will typically hit one after another if they are feeding well. We have caught well over 100 stripers in one night...as there is no limit for stripers at Powell.

For catfish, you will only find channel cats in Mead. They are best to get from the bank and usually in gradual sloping areas. It is also best to use anchovies for them.

***Please note that this is in accordance with regulations from Arizona. In Lake Powell (located upstream from Lake Mead) it is legal to chum the water with anchovies and it is also legal to fish from the marinas. You can use two hooks to one line and can only have two poles out at any given time. I do not know what the regulations are for Nevada.***

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Ryan