Lake Martin

Discussion in 'ALABAMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by brother hilljack, Oct 27, 2009.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Want to try out lake Martin. Anyone have any info on this water. Any info at all would be helpful. Best ramps, places to get bait. Its kind of a long drive for me so I just want to be as efficient as possible

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Let's go Alabama, let me in on the Lake Martin secrets.

3. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Lake Martin has flatheads, Channel and Blues there is plenty of deep water and it is Crystal clear. The bottom is Rocky with very little current The lake is shaped like a oak leaf the slues are a good place to fish and the mouth of feeder creeks.

4. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I don't know what's wrong with the Alabama Brothers they don't seam to give out info:embarassed: I try to give info that I know to help a Brother out, it may help or it my not but at least I try:cool2: Come on Alabama help a Brother out give him some info!!

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have only fished Martin a few times for stripes, not much cat experience on it. I do however work with a guy who grew up living on the lake and installing piers was his families business. I'll ask him for some info. If you want another cat spot to try about the same distance pm me....

6. TensawRiver

TensawRiver New Member

State:
    South Alabama
    to far north for me, but I did get to go camping there with my family this July. Tried to fish a little bit but there were about 450 million boats, pontoons and jet skis...Water is very clear and a great place to swim. Could be I am just to to redneck to fit in with all them folks..lol..

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Were you camping at Wynn Creek??? I was camping there the week after the 4th....

8. TensawRiver

TensawRiver New Member

State:
    South Alabama
    Mike,

Sorry for the delay but been huntin some. Yes I was at the park, the week before the big country music concert on the water that they had.

9. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta

I have to agree with everything you said. good place to go camping and swimming but would not fish here on a regular basis . 450 million boats in the summer time is an understatement :eek:oooh:

10. Pennspin

Pennspin New Member

State:
    Alexander City Al.
    The 450 millon boats would be about right!:smile2: Fishing in the upper part of the lake would be the best. Near where the river feeds the lake. I mainly target the eating size cats but I plan on trying for the larger ones soon. I spend my winter months hunting so it will be a little later before I get started back!

11. bamayote

bamayote New Member

State:
    alabama
    id love to try martin!

12. team360xtreme

team360xtreme New Member

State:
    texas
    was working in dadeville al. for three months and i fished lake martin 7 times with out one cat, using chicken livers!!...was very suprised because the chicken livers almost always get somthing.....this was off the bank or docks though!....this was this last summer june/july/august....water is so clear i think you have go very deep to have luck on this lake! you can see the bottom in 5 feet.....there are a couple of places to launch off hw 49 or still water hwy...right at the bridge...but these are not free....there is a free launch at young's ferry rd....good luck...i heard storys of monsters just never had any luck myself.

13. TensawRiver

TensawRiver New Member

State:
    South Alabama
    Sorry guys, I have'nt been on in a while. Don't fish much during the winter as i like to hunt too much. Plus my area here in south alabama the tensaw river has been flooded since october. Anyway yes there is just to many people there for me but I did enjoy the time there with the kids camping and will probably go back again sometime this summer for the kids but I want drag my boat all the way back there this time though. I'll just go take a break and enjoy some time with the kids, swimming and cooking out. Happy New year!!!

14. fishin4christ

fishin4christ New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Lake martin has some monster flatheads in it, but it's a hard lake to fish because it's so clear. I used to fish it a lot, but I only average two to three trips a year there now. Most big flatheads are caught up the tallapoosa river, where there is some current and the water is usually a little murkier. I would recommend fishing from manoy creek on up to the shoals. Some fellows do some commercial fishing up around the shoals and do really well. I've heard stories of 200 to 300lb stringers of fish a night. Thats mainly in the summer time though. You can put in at the ramp at Alexander City if you want to fish the river. Hope this helps.

15. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    if there are plenty of weeds around the shore this may be a good lake to fish at night.....at night it doesnt realy how clear the water is !!!!!!