Lake Marrowbone

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by lforet2002, Jul 29, 2009.

1. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I read about this lake in article about Nashville area catfishing holes..Was wondering if anyone has any feedback you can offer up about the lake..Seems the internet info is limited..

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I haven't heard of it. But when you find out some info let me know. I am always up to find some new catfish hotholes. Andrew

3. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Here's the little bit of info I got from my research..It is a TWRA lake in Joelton TN about 15 miles north of Nashville..Supposedly its a very family friendly place to fish..It is 60 acres with no power boats allowed..Only open 1/2 hr before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset..You can also rent boats there..I talked to my fishing partner who said he had fished there once or twice and he said its a very nice lake..He said that just about every year there's a story that comes out of there about a trophy cat being caught..They have a 5 fish per person limit on cats with no size limit..Thats about all the info I could scrounge up..Any one out there ever fish Lake Marrowbone??

4. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I fished it two weeks ago. Very very very very peaceful there.
    You ain't gonna catch any monsters.
    Nice place to fish though. They don't bite every 10 seconds like a lot of stocked lakes. The TWRA runs this, so you know it is done right. Not over or understocked.
    I fished for about 2 1/2 hours on a saturday afternoon and had three fish worth cleaning. I think the total weight of all three was like 2.5 pounds or something.
    Like I said no whoppers. If you fish for fun and not bragging rights then this is a great place to go.
    I highly recommend it.
    You can rent a boat if you want. I didn't so I don't know the price, but am pretty sure it is not outrageous.
    To fish here all you have to do is show your license and I think it was 5 bucks. Maybe 7. Can't remember exactly.

Did I mention I would recommend this very peaceful place to fish to all of y'all yet?

Really good place to take your family also. No drunks on water skis, very clean, and very quiet.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  5. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Jeff for the feedback..I think I'm gonna try it out..Probably gonna rent a boat and see if we can make a day of it..Maybe in the Fall when it cools down a bit..I thought, for it getting a mention in a story about catfishing around Nashville with such other places to fish as the Cumberland River and Percy Priest there musta been something to the place..The article gave it a big thumbs up..

6. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    I used to fish Marrowbone quite a bit, but its a ways out of my way for me now. It definitely is a quiet, peaceful lake with very little fishing pressure. Seems like every time I went, I never saw more than two or three boats. I never fished for cats there, but I've seen pictures in the bait shop there of some pretty nice cats taken out of there. Its got good bass, crappie, and trout fishing. If you fish from the bank right behind the shop around dusk, you'll get nice trout and shellcrackers. Its $5 entry fee and the john boat is $10 for the full day. You can also rent a trolling motor for $30 if you want. Ask the old man behind the counter in the shop for tips and good areas to fish, he is always happy to help.

7. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Jamie..Like I said once the weather cools down a bit I'd like the spend a day out there..Its a long haul for me too but what the heck...

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah Les when it gets in mid-sept. sometime we need to all plan us a trip.

9. tndogman

tndogman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have fished Marrowbone before ... caught a lot of eating size catfish but nothing big although I am sure there are some good sized ones in there. I did see someone bring in a five pounder a few years ago. They have scales at the dock which is nice and they sell bait, etc. The water is very clear - it must be fed by a lot of springs - so I suspect the fish are a little wary. They rent john boats (and trolling motors if you want one) and it can be a little noisy in the summer months when there are several people around - someone drops a paddle, etc., in their john boat and it sounds like a cannon went off. I like it because it is close to Nashville, but there are TWRA lakes scattered across the state. I don't know if Marrowbone is worth a long trip or not - you can check the TWRA lake locations at the state government webpages.

10. msd7806

msd7806 New Member

State:
    Pegram, TN
    I've fished it a few times. Big shiners is the best bait i think. You can catch anything out of there. Its got some really good bass in there. i havent fished it in a few years but they use to let you bring motor boats in but you had to keep the motor raised and only use the trolling motor. I've seen 20 foot bass boats in there. There are a lot of small catfish but the big ones have to be in there somewhere. I've seen a few big ones come out of there. The trout fishery is only about 200 yards down the hill from it. If you have a sportsman licence, all TWRA pay lakes are free. it is very peaceful especially if you have a boat and can get around the corner from the boat ramp.

11. msd7806

msd7806 New Member

State:
    Pegram, TN
    Oh yea, if you end up catching a fish that is hooked to a bass pro spinning rod, its mine.