Lake Marion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Feb 19, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Can anybody tell me what general area the fish are in because I'm not gonna be able to prefish so any little bit of help would be appreciated.Is theyre any water at Mill Creek or bells Marina, enough to get a good sized cc boat in.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chrisblue, I wish I could tell you where to find the fish, but I haven't fished the upper lake in over a month, and almost as long in Moultrie. However, the lake levels are up and launching shouldn't be a problem at most ramps.
    From what I hear, most people are having luck on the flats near channel drops, in the timber, and also in the shallows late, on sunny days. I probably already told ya more than I really know, LOL, but good luck. Let us know how things turn out.:)

3. chrisblue, i caught 4 blues(4,6,8&11lb) drifting cut shiners on flats 22'-24'
    deep near the old santee river channel out from rocks pond in front of island sixteen this past. monday morning. Most bites were on flats close to the slope of the riverbed.
    Hope that helps
    Mark

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I appreciate the info fellas I need all the help I can get.

5. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Chrisblue, good luck !! I really enjoy fishing there in the warm months during the night.......you can hang some big fish in some shallow water. My problem is fishing the lower lake, just havent spent enough time on it yet. Hoping to work on that real soon !!!

6. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I did really well last year in feb and march in the shallows deep inthe swamp north of santee state park.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    We placed 8th in the cabelas king kat tournament with 64lbs. We fished in the trees up near the state park.Lost alot of fish in the trees I think im gonna switch lines.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    :thumbsup: Chrisblue, that's great, man. The timber paid off, huh? I haven't seen any results besides yours. Is the list posted anywhere on the net that you know of? I checked their website yesterday, but haven't had a chance today.

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You aren't alone, Foxhound. I picked the screwiest winter weather in my memory to try and learn Moultrie. It has cut my rump at least half of the trips I made. I think I'm going to wait until the spring pattern settles in. LOL

10. great job Chrisblue. Sounds like a good trip.
    i haven't ever fished shallow for catfish in the spring. I usually have fished for largemouth or hit the golf course.
    How deep were you fishing in the trees(cypress?) and was there deep water nearby. I'm on lake marion so there arre plenty shallow areas.
    Any info would be great. Thanks

11. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Santee catman, Ive caught fish in as little as 2 feet of water on Marion during the hot months at night and its a blast. As soon as you set the hook they start rolling on top of the water and making all kinds of noise. Its a blast.

12. sounds like a lot of fun. Do you drift or still fish. i usually drift deep water
    but, sitting still and hearing that bait clicker go zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz about as fast as it can sure would get the blood pumping.

13. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Almost all of my fishing is done anchored.......not always by choice, but I still havent mastered the art of drifting. Those drift anchors get expensive, but I still love to try !

14. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I got my bad thoughts about lake marion. I've pulled my little row boat there twice in the last two mo. 1st time packs landing, fishin with minners, caught a few yellow perch.
    2nd put in at taw caw and caught a stupid!!!!! 6lb B@$$ on live shad.:crying:
    I hauled the thing home, to show gfnd I had been fishin and throwed it into the waccamaw.:)
    where are the decent fish? specks(crappie for you yankees), stripers and catfish.
    :confused:

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    They have been catching some good fish around Rocks Pond as of late.

16. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Sorry I've been away from the computer awhile.Tommy the results are on the cabelas king kat website.As far as depth 3 to 12 feet it didnt seem to matter if it was cypress or not.I caught most of them around the state park area.

17. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I was wonderin, if anyone would be interested in a little fishing trip over some weekend. Since I am in the military we could stay at Shortstay and can have up to 6 non military memebers. I havent been very active in the South Carolina thread because I might be moving back to Kansas in Sept/Oct time frame, I would like to get the chance to meet some of you and fish one of the greatest catfishing lakes in the nation with some brothers. I have fished Lake Marion but I didnt know where to fish. I dont have a boat but I can rent one for about 35.00 a day on base.

Thank You
    Chris

18. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, that sounds like a great idea, but I'm so busy right now for the next few weeks, I just can't make any plans. I'm sure some of the others may be interested, though, and if you guys come up with a plan, maybe I can at least get over there and fish with ya. Most of us in the area have boats, so that would keep you from renting one, unless you just prefer to do that. I hope it works out.

19. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I went this past week end i fished north of the state park and did allright i caught 4 blues around 10 12 pounds and 1 about a 40 pounds, but some guys at the store showed me some pictures of alot of fish they had been shooting with a bow. This was kind of unsettling since some of them were over 50lbs and i always release all of my fish over15lbs it makes me wonder how santee is still such agood fishery with all the trot linrs and bow fishermen, but any way i'm going bac this weekend does anyone have a opinion about were i should fish. I almost want ta hit half way swamp again but in heard the shallow water around 16 mile island was prodoucing alot of fish now any of u local people that have any advice for my next trip it will be appreciated.

20. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Is bowfishing for cats legal in SC?