Lake Marion??

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by scwolf, Sep 15, 2007.

1. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Has anyone been fishing lake Marion lately?? We took a ride today from Russellville, across the canal, and all the way around to Wyboo to look at both lakes. It is definately amazing to see it this low. I also never knew fresh water clams got so big.

Anyway, we haven't had the boat out since Memorial day and are thinking of fishing the upper lake next weekend. I talked to Robbie at Lil nates today and he said the "few" people that are fishing are doing well, was just wondering if anyone on here has been lately.

2. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Fished Marion on Thursday, drifting shad, middle of the lake, caught 16, big one 15 lbs. Also caught 13 stripers schooling.

3. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Kelley,
    We usually launch out of wyboo and head out to the main lake around green Island and start. Hoping we can get a decent weekend for fish and weather. It's been 3 months since we've had the boat on the water, so no matter what the results I'm ready to be on the water.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Robbie I have been fishing there lately and the bite has been pretty good especially at night around green island. The water is low but the fish seem to be holding pretty tight to the drops. Good luck and be careful.

5. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks James

I believe that is where we will be trying this coming weekend, hopefully the weather will stay good enough so we can explore around green island some and maybe even catch a few. I will post results on Monday

6. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    well we did fish lake Marion this past weekend. We didn't do as good as James and Keith, but we did have a blast. We ended up catching 12 cats around Green Island, all were between 10lbs and 22lbs a mixed bag of blues and flats on shad and perch. Most were caught behind Green Island with two coming fron the open water side of Green Island near the channel.

Congrats to James and Keith on there big cat win this weekend awesome flattie!!

7. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Is that the island by marker 39? Great Report, Thanks

8. jchwll

jchwll New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We were on the lake Sept. 21,22, and 23rd find the deepest water you can and you will find fish they are stacked up most of the fish we caught were on the lower lake we spent the 21st scouting both lakes and catching bait but did not make it back up the lake to try the fish we marked thier were several men that fished the uper lake with good catches each day they were anchoring over the fish and fishing straight down with brem and pearch both live and cut they said most fish came from cut bait they caught a good mix of blues and flatheads

9. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Thanks for the report Joel, and welcome to the BOC.

10. jmprice44

jmprice44 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I plan on fishing Moultrie, if I can get my boat in.

11. daddyrabbit

daddyrabbit New Member

State:
    Lake City S.C.
    haerd today that the landings that are closed are subject to 500 dollar fine if used. Thought that closing 's would be warnings. why the fine.

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I launched from Low Falls today. The river and lake are extremely low, only 2' in some areas through the blowout area. Plus side was I saw lots of catfish feeding on the flats adjacent to the river channels, mostly outside bends. The one pic attached isn't very good quality, but there were lots of fish almost everywhere I went that had these conditions; feeding on mussels. Water was muddy today, even in the river; must be a little water coming down the Wateree, maybe.
    Stumphole landing appears usable right now, but be very careful. There is also a long exposed bar adjacent to the river channel that you would have to navigate around.
    Santee State Park landing didn't look too bad, at least from what I could see, but still, lots of stumps between there and the channel. Be careful. I did a lot of idling through the stump fields today to get where I needed to be.

Attached Files:

13. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wyboo was in good shape last weekend. Just take your time getting around. We had good luck, but we only fished at night. If your stop at Lil' N8's tell Robbie that "Marc from Georgia" says hello and to send my regards to Hillbilly! Good Luck

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Them look like little sharks.Thats pretty cool Tommy.

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That picture is a little out of focus, and I couldn't get too close because the fish were spooky, in 1-2 feet of water. When I cranked the engine the exploded all around me. It's pretty cool to see them feeding like that, with their tails out of the water. I've been seeing them for quite a while, but mistook them for carp until recently when I started paying more attention. Most appear to be blues in the 10# range, but sometimes I see a really wide tail, maybe 20# or larger.

16. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    I've seen em feeding like that a good many times. Kinda like you said, I seldom see any big ones doing it. Maybe they are little more skittish with boats around

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Lake Marion was at 70.59 today which is 5 1/2 ft below full pool.They are going to have to shift some water around in order to meet minimium flow requirements I guess.:sad2:

18. Wow.. Lake Marion this a.m. at 70.2' and actually full lake level for marion is 76.8'. ... a full 6.6 feet below full. Looks like we have corn planted around the dock:eek:oooh:. a kayak would be nice to paddle around the islands to see the
    lake or lack there of.