Lake Marion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by weathermantrey, Mar 12, 2007.

1. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I just wanted to let everybody know we'll be taking a trip to lake Marion from Saturday until Wednesday night chasing some cats. I'll post our results as soon as I get back. It looks like the weather will have turned cold on the day we get there. The same thing happened to us last spring break and we found the fish holding on riverchannel ledges above the 95 bridge in 25 feet of water. I was hopeing this year we would get in on some shallow water action. Maybe by the end of our trip it'll warm up enough to get them going. Wish us luck!!! We'll be staying at rock's pond.

2. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    cross some eyes, Trey! I hope you and Greg have some good luck! We have about 5 more weeks from today before me and Josh leave. Hope yall catch a hawg!

3. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    A co worker of mine said his son was catching the cats in the shallows from
    4 pm til 9pm this past week on sonny's blood stink bait.. They were fishing in by bonneau off a dock. I am going to find out for my self this week. I get off in the morning and I don't have to go back to work for the rest of the week, so the kitty's better be saying some prayers..

Good luck

4. Trey, thats my stomping grounds. i fished out in front of rocks pond this past weekend w/ no luck. Also marked lots of fish in 18'-25' range but no takers. The water right now is very muddy. I'm not sure how very muddy
    affects them ,but hopefully it will start clearing up a little for you. Good luck & Go tigers!

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Heading to marion in the morning before daylight and going to fish some flats before daylight and then head out alittle deeper in the day. I hope to have a report good or bad tommorow.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Go get em, Trey!

good luck, bro!

7. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    Thanks, we're gonna try our best to put some fish in the boat. Looks like the weather won't be that bad for us now. I tore a ligament in my foot this weekend so i may be on crutches while i'm there, but that isn't gonna stop me from reelin in some big cats!

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Wish I had read this earlier. I would have looked for you. I was up there around the middle part of the day, from the dam to the channel cutting across the lake towards Goat Island. Not many boats were on the water, lake was too calm. Beautiful, hazy day. Hope you had some luck. :big_smile:

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hate I missed you Tommy but we had a good time but after daylight the fishing was slow. We put in around 6am and was fishing by 6:30 and by 9am we had 4 in the boat (3 blues & 1 channel) all around 18-12lbs. They were all caught in 3-4ft near the cypress trees. We caught 1 more later on in the day a blue about 15lbs in little river 40ft. The water is really high but falling and muddy but they still seem to be feeding good in the shallows. The water temp. started out around 61deg and was 69deg by the time we left around 2pm. All were caught on filleted gizzard shad and the biggest one was on a live 10" shiner. All were full of snails and empty mussel shells.

10. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well, I guess most everyone was at Lake Marion today.... I got there around 1:30 and fished till 7:30... Started out in the deep water out in the dead forest...Got a few bits on bream and gizzard shad heads, but they would not fully commit.... did get one to commit useing a red worm on a 4'6" ugly stick with 8# line and a bream hook....Got him off the bottom in about 30' of water and almost got him in the boat.... I tried to keep down enough to get the net in the water before he was at the top ,but he came to the surface and then rolled an pop went the line.... It was a blue and looked the be about 12-15#.:sad2:... moved into the shallows around 5:00 till 7:30 they were rolling everywhere except on my hook:angry: I guess they did not like what i was serving...anyway it was a fun day on the water, wish i saw some of you out there, maybe next time....

11. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    great feedback fellas when do you think they will start spawning? im ready to catch some giant flatties

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think they will start spawning in about 3-4 weeks. The flatheads are all ready doin it I heard. I heard a guide say early yesterday morning that caught a 45lber in the lower lake, and took him to put in the tank @ Blacks. I saw alot of fishing rolling in the shallows up until about 8:30am and then everything slowed down.

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hate I missed you Micheal I was probably taking out when you were putting in. I wasnt wiling to wait around for the evening bite. I think the fish started feeding hard around 4am cause that is when the moon rise was. I have always had real good sucess when the moon starts rising at or before daylight. We had the most sucess with the gizzard shad filleted open in 3-4ft around green island. Really didnt hear anyone else catching any fish and we would have probably not if we wouldnt have got there earlly we were the only boat out there.

14. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good luck. Let us know how the trip was.

15. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Man, talk about a spot of good luck.......we tore up the catfish Wednesday afternoon in the canal. We got to Canal Lakes at approx. 1pm and were told that we would have to be launched and away from the bridge by 2pm. Come to find out the demolition team was going to blow the remaining pilings in the water from the old bridge. The DNR was on hand and had us keep our boats at least 750 yards away while the blasting was going on. What a sight and sound !!!! Then the fish started coming up.....all shapes and sizes...catfish..bass..stripers..shad..bream, all dead and free for the taking. Got me a nice mess of catfish and eased on bout my business.

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ken some people have all the luck.LOL I will be back @ lake marion on wed. and thurs. if anyone is going to be around. I will be fishing out of randolphs probably around green island.

17. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I always knew Foxhound was a dynamite fisherman....:big_smile:

18. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    hey rivercat we fished there yesterday behind green island on wyboo side in the flats about 4' of water. Caught a 9lb and a 7lb blue and a 2 lb channel and a large sunfish about 1-1 1/2lb. we used sea herring or atleast i think thats what the man at randolphs called it but it worked pretty good filleted on a bottom rig with 12"leader and 0/4-0/6 circle hooks next weekend is the tourny and i hope we improve our catches a lot more

19. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    Well we made it back from our trip to Lake Marion. All in all, we had a great trip. We caught a total of around 520 to 530 pounds of catfish. It was real windy on saturday and we only managed one 16lb cat. we didn't stay out long because of the wind. Looks like we should have stayed out longer after reading chrisblues report. by they way, we think we passed you chris on the way to rock's pond saturday evening. Anyways, the next days we did really well fishing in 4 feet of water around cypress tree's. caught a lot of 8 to 15 lb blues. Our two biggest fish we caught on the last day and released them so we dont know how much they weighed. i would guess one was 30lbs and the other was 35 or so lbs. Here's a pictures of the two fish. we also caught an 8lb bass in the cast net one night, that was pretty neat. We had the best luck using threadfin shad we netted around our camp. they seemed to out perform the ocean herring. the last day we caught some huge gizzard shad in the net and used them with good results. Also, a 10 lb blue we caught had two monst gizzard shad in his stomach each one probably weighed 1 pound.

Attached Files:

20. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    I also forgot to mention this....

One day when we came in some trotliners brought their catch to the cleaning station. They said it was the best night they have had in 5 years. I would say they had at least 700lbs of fish in their boat, it was about to sink from all the fish. they said they had to start throwing back the smaller fish. i wanted to say something about how that makes no sense to keep the big ones and throw back the small ones, but i kept my mouth shut since they helped me skin some of my fish. They had a 45 or 50lb flathead and 5 or 6 blues that we're over 30lbs each. It really made me sick to my stomach to see all those big fish laid out like that though. It amazes me how so many fish are pulled out of that lake every day but yet it continues to produce good fish.