Lake Marion water levels - UH OH.. Don't look now but,

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by santee_catman, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Uh Oh ... don't look now but, the lake levels at Marion are starting to concern me. As of 2 a.m. today it was 3 feet low from full and the has been on a steady decline. Not to be an alarmist but, i sure don't want to go down that road again. We were having pretty steady rainfall events but, they have tailed off if the last 2 weeks statewide. Maybe we'll be fine but, an extra prayer here or there wouldn't hurt.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Good point!!!The level this AM is 73.80.That would be 2ft+ from full pool.Last year it was July when it reached this level.This isnt abnormal as I look at past years but we havent had much rain for the last 2 weeks.Looks like some coming later this week however.:big_smile:anybody going fishing for fathers day.I think I'll mosey on down there myself for a few days:smile2:

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Amen on that!!!!!
    Don't worry about being an alarmist, Patmansc and I talked about this very issue the other day. I think the little warning lights a going off for a lot of people. I've got a friend on Lake Marion that trailored his toon this weekend, because of fear he might not get out of the creek his toon is docked in if the water continues to fall.
    Maybe we could dress Roundhill up. Give him some FIRE WATER and let him do a rain dance or something.

4. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Go get m Roundhill... Do a rain dance for us.

5. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    that dance will take place fryday afternoon it might take a few double takes or so but it will happen.:wink::wink:

6. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yeah and where are the water bans?????....i have heard of none in or around my area and why???...plenty of people watering gardens, lawns, washing cars, etc....i don't know about y'all but i would rather have water to drink, shower, and cook with then have green grass....what are the "officials" waiting for???...guess our lakes gotta be reduced to creeks before anything will get done but then it's to late!!!:angry:

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Roundhill you are ALIVE. I thought they might have taken you hostage up there in them mountains.

8. tennessee blues

tennessee blues New Member

State:
    Fort Bragg, North Carolina
    Jim, I'll be down late Friday night and stay until Sunday. I'm staying at our campground at Big Water. Let me know if you want to do some night fishing.

Shayne

9. I'm gonna try to go sun a.m. on fathers day and take my little girl on her ist real catfish trip. Shes 5 yrs old and hopefully we'll catch a few.
    Probably just do some drifting around island 16.

10. Well i took my daughter Olivia on her first catfish trip today and she did great.
    We (she) only caught 2 but one was a 20 lber. i took the rod out the holder and shebrought him all in by herself. I got it all on video.
    She wanted to eat her fish so we cleaned it and it stilll had eggs.
    i guess there still a few left to spawn.

11. FishinTN

FishinTN New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Where do you do most of your fishing when the water levels go down, if your boat isnt already beached ha:smile2:. when the water levels drop like they have been doin. i go down to my grandpas house on lake marion and the past couple time ive been down there ive either come up with a goose egg or a couple small ones. do you recomend fishing in the shallow cypress trees near the islands between randolphs and the dam, or sometimes i try still fishing with cut shad in the stumps right out in front of the dam by randolphs. im heading down there this weekend for a family reunion and id like to know if youve found any good spots that youve had good luck at.

12. Well, i probably got about a foot to go before i'm on bottom again.Since we have a dock i never trailer the boat(trailer to old anyway )so when the boat hits bottom i catch up on some saltwater fishin w/ brother in his boat.
    All the places you mentioned sound good. I haven't heard too much luck in the shallower water during the daytime. I've been hearing some good reports
    from the diversion canal at night when they are pulling water thru.
    I have caught a few fish lately fishing 18-24 foot near dropoffs on creeks off main lake

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The lakes are down 1ft in the last 18days.We desperately need rain down there in short order otherwise at a 2ft drop every month we will be back where we were.:confused2:

14. Well... I'm officially concerned. Full stage at lake Marion(76.8') and present stage (72.86') = Pontoon boat on ground.:angry:.
    Its not like it hasn't been raining. Last year this didn't happen until
    mid august . i hear lake murray isn't that low. Can we borrow some water?
    Well, iv'e got a lot of projects to do so now would be a good time.
    keep the prayers up.

15. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Oh well! I am heading down tonight. Be staying at Randolphs for the next five days. I guess I'll just have to be a little more cautious. Hopefully I can still get to my fishing spots. Maybe I'll see some ya'll down there.

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Soory to hear that Mark. Maybe while your boat is in drydock you will be able to get together with some of us that trailor and still do some fishing. I hope the water comes back up I ait looking foward to a repeat from last year. I am afraid it will be worse this year.