Lake Marion this weekend - We took the fishing boat!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by scwolf, Oct 7, 2007.

1. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We took the boat out this weekend and did pretty well with the fish. Fished the back side of green island and the mouth of patatoe creek, caught 3 flatheads that were 26lbs,25lbs,and 22lbs. Also caught several blues and channels all were between 10lbs and 15lbs. Couldn't get the perch to bite so all fish were caught on fresh shad, some live, some dead, but fresh. Shad is pretty easy to catch in the lake right now.

2. sclariat

sclariat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice catch scwolf!

Which landing did you put in at and how was it?

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Glad that you had a good time and got into some nice fish :smile2:

4. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Robert,
    We put in at Alex Harvin Landing, the ramp is in pretty good shape as of now. It is getting pretty low but you can still get just about any size boat in right now.

5. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Nice going Robbie.

6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Does anybody know if the state park boat ramps are useable ?? three weeks ago I put in at Poplar Creek but it was very rough on the trailer.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great report Robbie sounds like yall had a good time and glad you found some of those flatties.

Foxhound I was at the state park about 4 weeks ago and watched 2 pontoon trailers back off the concrete and at that time they were teling people to put in at their own risk and that was almost 1 month ago.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The tackle shop at the state park (803-854-4005,800-967-7739) per internet search should be able to help answer that, Ken. :big_smile:

9. sclariat

sclariat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Called Randolph's landing yesterday and they said there was no problem getting in there. Then I asked about next week and they said if it was to low to get in they would pour more concret down so people could put in. Hope this helps someone.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Randolphs also said that they poured 4 more feet of concrete about 1 month ago and when we pulled up there in the boat all they had done was pour 4ft of concrete(sackcrete) across the landing to patch a hole in the landing. They made it sound as if they had added 4 more ft to the ramp. They only used a couple of bags of concrete from lowes.

Robbie you say the perch were hard to find? The last few times I have been it has been harder and harder to get perch. They must be moved out into the lake itself.

11. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    James,

Yea we had a hard time finding perch. Normally I can use night crawlers right off the bottom in any of the deep holes and catch plenty off of one worm. This weekend I could not catch one on hook and line and only caught a few very small ones with the cast net. My shad were bigger than the perch. I didn't try for brim, I guess next trip I will do some good ole brim fishing for bait also.

12. BrianD

BrianD New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself here. i've just joined the BOC and the catfishing I was introduced to and fell in love with was Santee. I 've only been into it for a couple years but when I got into it I went all in. I'm in the Army and live in Fayetteville and try to make it down as much as I can. I've only ever fished the upperlake but look forward to learning what I can to switch it up a bit. I've learned alot in the last couple years and have done ok on all my trips but I still have a million questions and it appears there are a million answers here. Unfortunately because of work I know I won't make it down that way again until March but I will be on here quite frequently and love to talk fishing even though I can't do it right now. I look forward to tallking with all of you and hopefully sharing a day on the water sometime down the road.................Brian

13. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Brian welcome to the BOC. There are a lot of information available on this sight including the library on this sight.

Jim

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Welcome Brian,Im just down the road at Camp Lejeune.I retired from the Army but my youngest son is in Iraq with the 3rd ID right now.He also loves Santee plus the James river in VA.I get down there frequently and have fished it for years.If you look at the names that thanked you at the bottom of your post, they represent about 1 Zillion years of Santee experience that you can tap into.Between us we have caught 3 fish all together!!!!:big_smile::smile2:Just kidding.Let me know when you can go again if only for a day or so.My son will be back in April and raring to go but in the meantime always gald to take a warrior fishing.Its about time to put together a guide trip again because the lake is so low its hard to launch any boat.Ask any questions you might have and after you make 10 posts then you can PM members directly.:smile2::big_smile:

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome Brian! Looking forward to reading about your fishing experiences there with a bunch of great fishermen. Thanks for joining us.

16. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Congratulations on the catch....been a long time since I was at Santee.....just purchased a 6' drift sock from that area.

Jerry

17. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Brian,
    Welcome to the largest family of catfishermen in the world, Your going to love this site.

18. BrianD

BrianD New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone for the freindly welcome. Jim neither your son or I are doing any fishing right now but we are in the same boat so to speak, hence the reason I know I won't be around until March. I wish him the best of luck and hope he gets home safe soon. I'll tell ya I should probably start a new thread for this and if someone wants to do that with one of their replys then I'll learn as I go along here...I'd like to know what kind of drift setups you guys use on the upper and lower lakes. I learned to use the Cabella's bottom bouncers and they do work well. I also would like to hear your guys opinion on rod length and the degree of your rod holders in relation to not getting hung up as much. Do you think it makes a difference. I use mostly 7 1/2 foot rods and the 25 degree driftmaster rod holders. They work good but my fishing partner and i have noticed that if we use something to keep our rod tips up a little higher we tend to get snagged a little less. Any thoughts?

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Depends on how much line you have out ,what type of sinker,if you use a float on your leader etc.Of course some snags are unavoidable.Most of the guides use softer rods to give some spring,while i use stiffer rods to hop the rig over the stumps.I have found that if you slap the base of the rod just as it begins to hang that it will often jump the rig over.Leave it to long and let the rod load up and you are snagged.When you get back I'll take you with us and you can see how we go about it which isnt the only answer by any means.The guides all have different rigs but are basically the same approach.The lower lake is much easier to drift due to the lack of standing trees but there are still a million stumps under the water.71/2 ft rods areideal with 7 ft probably being the average length in use.The higher the angle the steeper the approach of your rig.That means the main line is not drug through the snag as much.Hope this helps .Good luck son to you and all your buddies.:big_smile::smile2:Use the search button or the library and you can find More than you want to know about drift fishing,Santee and just about anything else.

20. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Fished this weekend out of Canal lakes and caught a mixture of nice cats. Ended up catching most of my bait (bream,perch) off the docks there. All of my usual bait spots are dry !! Anybody wanting to dock up there in front of the restraunt be careful, there is a lot of twisted metal just a foot under the water in several places. Caught twelve blues in the timber along the dam in the creek bed mostly using cut bream and heads. No real bigs one but a couple that were pushing 20 lbs. The flatheads were biting in the canal using live bream at night . A friend of mine who had never been catfishing caught a 37 lb flathead and is now HOOKED. Will post picture as soon as I figure out how to re-size stupid thing #%#@