Lake Marion/Summertime

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Foxhound, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Took my grandson out friday and we drifted for blues and had a blast. The bite was steady most of the day with the magic depth being around 15 ft. The sun was a real scorcher and made me decide that its time to switch over to night trips. We ended up keeping 13 and let that many more go. No matter how hard we tried.......the 20 lb blue my grandson caught wasnt getting put back without a fight.

2. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Fox Hound,

Thank you so much for the report, and it is great to see that you are passing great values on to your Grandson. I wish I could say I had child hood memories such as these, but that isn't the case however, I know my grandchildren will have memorable moments like your grandkids.. By the way what did you use for bait?

Have a great Day.. :big_smile:

3. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    We were using threadfin shad.........they were small so I used two on each hook.

4. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    GREAT to hear you done so well foxhound especally with the grandson.

I went out between ponaplous and the hatchery this weekend and did ok friday night but it was so hot sat & sunday I only caught 4 cats both nights together. I guess the water just got too hot. I plan on trying the shortstay, bonnoe side the coming sunday and see how they fair.

If anyone has a report on the lower lake later on in the week Please give me a shout!

5. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Gomer,

There catching the catfish between the hatchery and Pinopolis in 8 feet of water. Their using sonny's catfish dip bait, but don't use the blood bait use the regular. I was trying it in the shallows around 3 to 4 feet and we didn't do well. but when we got to the boat landing and we saw another fella come in and he had about 2 dozen cats, he told me what he was doing different.. Thought I would share..

Zivetor..::smile2:

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I got 2 more weeks and I will be heading to Potato Creek for the whole week of night fishing. Boy is my wife gonna hate me after this trip. I am hoping to finally break the big 50# mark I have been all over so many times it has to be my time. Well I am just counting down the days I love vacation and I deffitenately love vacation on santee.

7. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    thanks for the report ken

8. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Seen something friday ive heared of but never seen........riding along in the pontoon to set up for another drift and seen a big boil in the water, when we got up to it there was two big blue cats rolling on top of the water fighting. One had the other by the head and they were just rolling over and over. Tried to get the camera out and get a shot of this but they spooked just a few seconds after the boat floated up to them. They looked to be around 20 lbs each and made quite a splash. Grandson said we shoulda just netted em.......

9. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    maybe they was loving or kissing or fishing or just wanted to be friendly in public or they could be fresh out of the closet you never know about them blues they are strange cats thats for sure i will ask jim when i see him he will know.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, Ron! Guess you made it out of the hills ok, huh?

Ken, I've seen cats doing that once before, but not certain why, either. Maybe a 'turf' war???

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Many of the guides say they have witnessed the same thing and it only happens during the spawning season.Probably the same thing as most bar fights.Somebody looks cross eyed or says something to another guys woman and next thing you know they got their lips locked up,guns and knives out blasting away,nothing serious.:lol::smile2::cool2:Either that or some wise guy stole his woman the the two males are celebrating their good fortune!!!!!!!!:lol::cool2::wink:

12. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Yep I've seen fish "fighting" a good many times this time of year. Fightin' or lovin', I'm not sure which. Gomer I've been 2 nights this week and will fish again Thursday and probably Saturday night as well. The water is definitely warming up and the fish are a little more scattered than in the spring. If you go back around Pinopolis, try drifting over the humps in about 15 feet of water. Put out a couple of slip corks in addition to your normal set up about 1/2 way down the water column. If you catch a really big one with a 5/0 Owner circle hook in the left corner of his mouth, let me know how much he weighs, and save my hook for me before you throw him back!

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I asked a couple of biologists today, and they agreed that it is a territorial thing to see two fish fighting that way; not that unusual.
    Keep up the good reports, guys. I hope to get out this weekend for a change. :smile2: