Lake Marion Saturday Night

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by IndianCoach, Apr 23, 2007.

1. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Me and the bro in law set up on a shelf Saturday evening. Had lines in 7 foot and 15 foot of water. Before we could get them all out bam! one of the shallow rods took off. I was for sure this was a striper because of the singing drag. Tuns out it was an 18.8 pound blue that trashed one of my Tidewater 30s. I'm going to take it apart tonight to see if I can salvage it. Anyhoo the bite was on and we started working rods all in the 7 to 10 foot depth. As we had finished boating an 8 pound flattie one more 15 pound blue and lost another 20 plus ound flattie at the boat I look south across the lake and see some strange darkness coming at us. It was not a cloud around so after a minute I got to see what it was-WIND! It went from slick as glass to a 2 foot chop in a matter of minutes. Th e anchors wouldn't hold so we went around the back of Pine Island for about 30 minutes with no luck so we said we'd take it to the house. As we round the island bango 3 foot waves. Needless to say it was a wet ride in. Water temp was 68 degrees and stained. All fish caught in about 7 to ten foot on butterflyed fresh threadfin shad. Wish I could have stayed. That 5 mph northeast turned into 15to 20 in about 3 minutes. Thanks Ben Tanner.

2. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I know putting a reel back to gether can be a pain after a big fish thrashes it, but isn't it worth it?:big_smile_2:

Took an old guy lead line fishing for warmouth bream in the waccamaw river one time. He had an old Zebco rod and reel that he was real proud of. We were jigging our rigs back in a little creek, catching a good many little bream when the tip of the man's zebco shot down and just started screaming. He fought the fish, got it close to the boat when the rod snapped in half. We netted about an 8 pound blue he had caught. I said something of the effect of "man I'm sorry about your rod" and he said "What the hell for? Thats the most fun I ever had with that old rod." So the moral of that stroy is anytime you tear up replaceable equipment fighting a big fish, it's worth it.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That wind is part of the reason for posting pics: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46141
    for folks who aren't familiar with just how quickly things can go bad on Santee Cooper. Glad you guys made it in ok, and had some decent fishing to boot. My daughter & her husband were out there Saturday evening and night, also reported freaky wind. They managed a decent night of fishing; maybe CatfishJunkie will post their pics.....:big_smile:

4. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    It was eery how fast it happened. Glass to 3 footers in a snap. Luckily my boat could handle them but I saw one feller that I know had to have trouble going in.

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I know what you mean, Dann, the very same thing happened to me on Monday :crazy:

6. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I and a friend were also on Marion Sat night. About 1/2 mile before the canal. Calm until right before dark. We got into the canal thinking we would drift down towards the lower lake but the wind was blowing the exact opposit from the current. The boat would not drift with the current. So we gave it up about 9pm but when we got in and quit for the night. The wind seemed to stop. Just our luck. We thought we would get a bit to eat but the place we went to closed up at 9pm. So our big lunch had to do us the rest of the night.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Alan welcome to the BOC. Just make your self at home.

8. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Welcome in Alan you have picked a good sight, you'll find lots of info and frends as you can see. :big_smile:
    Dan, I feel for you but I don't mind getting a reel burnt every now and then, it lets you know there are still some Big ones still out there :smile2:

9. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    It was quite entertaining. I still haven't looked at it. Maybe tonnight. My trip to the Congaree tonight got pushed back till tomorrow night.( gotta be a good Dad). Ithink I might treat myself and buy myself a new one anyhow. I'm thinking of going with a little lighter equipment. Walmart has those abu garcia baitcasters with the clickers. I'm gonna go with those and some 6-6 rods instead of the heavier stuff. I only keep a few fish for the freezer every trip and I release all those 25 and over so I might as well have a little more fun. In fact I'm goona rig up a light batcaster with a punch bait rig and ten pound line to mess with the channels a bit. If I get broke off I haven't lost much and it will be good fun with a 5 plus boy on there.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree with you that is fun. When the cataba worms come on I like to get a bunch of them and go down to a lake on our hunting club that is fed by the river just me and my wife armed with ultralights with 10lb test. We catch a bunch of channels and blues in the 2-10lb range it is a blast.