Lake Marion report

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bearfrog1, Apr 27, 2008.

1. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    We got to Lake Marion Friday night and got a room at Taw Caw landing. Launched and beached the pontoon and unloaded. Picked up 4 dozen live Threadfin Shad and put them in a lingerie bag and placed them on ice for the night. Started fishing Sat morning as the sun was about to come up. We were fishing in the Cow Pasture 4 feet deep with cut baits about thumb size. Water temp was 74.1 degrees at 10am. My marine radio was not working right. I was scanning all the channels paying attention to channel 68 as alot of the guides use that one. Heard a friend talking and tried to talk back but either they didn't hear me or I couldn't hear them reply after I talked. Not sure there but I guess I'll need to investigate that anyways. Caught 3 eating sized bluecats before 9am then I got a nice 26lb bluecat. Pics to follow. Caught 4 more by lunch then they all shutdown biting. I went to the 19 feet drop off and marked some very nice fish but again no bites. By early afternoon a bad thunderstorm was coming in. Gotta love my 115 Honda as we just got in just in time as the winds rain and lightning came in. Storm passed after 2 hours and we went back out. Fished until 8pm and got 4 more eating sized blues for a total of 12 fish for the trip. 26lber, 15lber, 11lber, and the rest around 5lbs each.
    If anyone has suggestions about my radio, please let me know. It is brand new never used Standard Horizon. 9 1/2 ft Shakesphere anteana.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan
    bearfrog1@yahoo.com

2. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,

Attached Files:

3. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Glad yall had a good trip, looks like a nice mess of catfish

4. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    nice fish thanks for the report

5. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    That looks like a pretty enjoyable day at the lake. Good deal.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you had your self a blast and congrats on the fish that you caught them are some nice looking catfish, thank you for sharing the photos with us, and looks like you have enough catfish to have you a good ole fish fry.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Johnathan good job glad you got some fish. Wish I could help on the radio it sounds to me like the mike is not working properly if you can hear them talking but cany repond back probably the mike.

8. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Nice bunch of fish. Keep up the good work and thanks for the info.

9. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Johnathan,

Very nice catch...sounds like you had a fun day. Please don't take this the wrong way but would you consider releasing the larger fish. The smaller ones taste better anyways and it takes longer for nature to replace the 10+ pounders. I'm not bashing by any means, just offering a suggestion. You are within your rights to keep any fish you catch with the law and I understand that. We all like to catch big fish so if you release them we can catch them over and over again. They are also the breeders so if we want a mess for a fish fry, we need to have those big gals around to provide the eaters. Just something to think about.

Again, congrats on the catch.

Tight lines.

10. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Chuck again here is someone that is proud of his catch and being made to feel guilty by someone that does not know the conditions at Santee Cooper.
    They want you to keep fish 20 lbs and under.

Jim

11. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    I wasn't gonna chime in but thanks for the comment.
    I personally feel that if I ever catch a 50lber or more, I will DEFINITLEY take a quick picture and put him back in as fast and safe as possible.
    These 25lbers can be caught here regularly with many others still swimming and reproducing.
    Just my opinion...

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Johnathan Please dont worry about these same people that chime in about how they release all there fish and dont keep anything over 10lbs is there progative but it isnt good for the Population of the santee lake system or most likely any lake system. Ir eckon they should realise you arent down there everyday fishing as they must be so you like to keep the fish you catch when you get the time to go. I say THANK YOU for keeping them I should probablly keep more than I do so thaks for the report and great catch.

13. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Sorry guys...I didn't mean to start anything. I wasn't trying to make anyone feel "guilty" of showing off their catch. I did, in fact, congratulate him for it. I only offered a suggestion while acknowleging his "right" to do whatever is legal. In fact, another member here sent me a p.m. stating that in the Santee system that there is an overabundance of 20 lb fish and that the DNR asks that you harvest them...a fact that is very rare indeed and my ignorance showed through. I have been educated!

I fished those very waters in the early 80s and know first hand what a special fishery that is. I would just hate to see it decline for overfishing of breeders...it can and does happen. If the folks that have their finger on the pulse of the lake say to keep those big fish, who am I to question them?

Again, please accept my apologies for my ignorance of your waters. My intention was not to offend anyone and I hope you take it in the intent it was presented.

Tight lines.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    As a long time fisher of the Santee system I find this discussion interesting particularly having discussed the "situation" with the chief biologist several times.I am leery of any discussion that has the word "THEY" in it.As in THEY say this and THEY say that.I also fish with the guides regularly,at least 4 or 5 five times each year so I can get their perspective,I think everyone agrees that the system is full of smaller fish and all that can be, should be kept and utilized.I dont think the DNR or anybody else has set an arbitrary limit as in all above this weight should be released and all below kept.I have had guides tell me the DNR encourages keeping all the eating size fish and this makes sense.When you take one large fish out of the biomass then that space is usually filled with several smaller fish,which can cause stunting of the entire population.This happens in small ponds frequently and is precisely what happened to the Santee stripers.The lake is full of smaller stripers and real trophys like the 40-50lb fish of the early days are all gone.Same thing can happen to the catfish.I dont think Bomberman ment to make anyone feel guilty.He was just stating a common opinion on CPR particularly for the bigger fish.I suggest everyone read the current CPR thread.If anyone knows a DNR official that has stated a specific policy they would like to see fishermen adhere to please post it here along with the officials name.There is a large group of us that fish Santee and would like to help preserve this rare and historic resource so any factual information will help the cause.Remember that there are about 100 guides fishing Santee evry day.If each of them kills just one 20+ fish a day that is almost 400,000 fish annually.Most of them catch more than one every day so you can see no system can support that kind of harvest forever.It doesnt matter if you make only one trip a year, you are still part of the composite harvest figure.As usual common sense and good judgemment will go a long way towards protecting the fishery.:big_smile:

15. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Great post Jim! To make the best decisions on what needs to be kept and what needs to be released, it takes good data and alot of it. I think a lack of focus on catfish and a thinly stretched DNR have made determining what is "best" a challenge. We all know the perfect management scenario lies somewhere between "keeping every fish" and "releasing every fish". The fishery at Santee has somewhat taken care of itself in the past years as far as catfish go, but all lakes change over time as do the populations of fish, and management strategies have to change with it. The 36" rule is at least a step in the right direction (It shows the DNR at least recognizes the importance of big fish to fisherman), but I think alot more research is needed

16. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The catfish population on santee is down and growth rates have slowed considerably.

Currently, blue catfish grow to a size of 24 inches nearly two years earlier in Lake Moultrie than in Lake Marion, and to 36 inches at age 10 in lake Moultrie and age 13 in Lake Marion.

The length differance has no data to suport any one reason, but has been a constant for many years.

36 inch fish use to take aproximently 6-7 years 1976-1981 (last big study).

So the next time you see a fish taken out thats over 36 inches remember its 10-13 years from that moment on to replace it.

Curt

925 mm is aprox 36 inches

Attached Files:

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks Curt,that is precisely the kind of info we need to make decisions on.It is no surprise that the populations of large catfish are down.All you have to do is ask the guides.Off course they have a habit of blaming everyone else,like the commercials and trotliners.The guide s have made enormous strides in the last 5-7 years in accepting responsibility for the loss and working hard to do something about it.Some of them have known this all along.One of the good ones made videos in which he supported release of the trophys and one who I consider a good friend offered discounted trips to folks that would release fish over 30lbs.The new rule is largely a result of their lobbying for it.Some of these guides are the same ones that helped destroy the largemouth fishery in the 50s and 60s and then destroyed the trophy striper fishery when it emerged.When I say guides thats not totally fair because their customers are the ones that drive the business,but they can push catch,photo and release.The nail and the wheelbarrow have destroyed the fishery twice and came close the 3rd time.NOW it is time we ALL take responsibility and do what we can to protect the remaining fishery.Santee remains the only freshwater system that has held 4 world records and still holds 2.:smile2::big_smile:

18. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Thanks for the post. I only have one issue with the study. How can they differentiate between both lakes when the lakes in question are connected by a 7 mile diversion canal? To me one could call it all one body of water, but again I'm no expert here.

19. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Not wanting to point a finger at anyone but I always wonder why, when somebody quotes facts; IE" they say, this study found, it is a known fact."
    Why don't those posting the "facts" use the documentation that their facts come from. Many times I have seen that it is those people that tend to profit from the fact that ALL big fish are returned to the water for them or their clients to recatch. I have thrown all the cats that I have caught over 15 pounds back my entire life, 60 years, only because I want to, not for any other reason. I believe that it is up to the one who caught the fish to decide whether it is released or not. JMHO

20. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Bearfrog, they simply used the data they collected and kept the lakes separate. To add to the data provided above, the average blue catfish in Lake Moultrie weighs 7.2 pounds, average for the Canal weighs 4.0 pounds, and the average for Marion is 3.5 pounds.....stats provided by DNR