Lake Marion Report, April 5, 6, 7

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CatfishNuggets, Apr 8, 2007.

1. CatfishNuggets

CatfishNuggets New Member

State:
    SC
    We camped and put in at Jack's Creek on Thursday evening and fished through Saturday morning, mostly with trotlines. Glad I brought my long johns! Reports from most of the fisherman were consistent that the cold weater that moved in put a slowdown on the fishing. We caught approximately 20 fish with the biggest being a 20 lber. 75% Blues, 25% small channel cats, and one 10 lb. Flathead. We mostly fished shallow water, 6 feet or less. Friday morning we did some fishing at the edge of the channel at marker 132 on rods and reels, but didn't get a bite(cut bait, chicken livers). We went up in the Cypress trees at Line Island on early Friday afternoon with worms for Shellcrackers and only caught one Shellcracker. The Shellcrackers are not in the beds in this area. The bait we had the most success with was dried up chicken livers with garlic salt. I tried the "red oil" fish attractant that they sell at Wal Mart, but could not see any benefit from it. Won't waste my money on it next time. One very successful bait was a a 10 lb. mudfish that we caught and cut up in chunks for bait. We fished Friday night on the backside of Persanti Island till past midnight on a brush pile for crappie with minnows. All we caught on Friday night was a cold. After midnight on Friday, the wind blew 30 mph or more all night and this continued till Saturday morning. Saturday morning we caught a few, but it was in the mid 30's with white caps on the water.

When we were cleaning the fish, one of the boys checked their stomachs. One of the Blues had a stomach full of crawdads. Another had some small bream in her stomach. Almost all were full of eggs.

I hope this info helps. Thanks for all of the advice y'all gave us prior to this trip.

Jimbo

2. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Thanks for the report.

3. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Fished out of Poplar Creek friday and caught a nice mess of fish. Water temp down about six deg to around 63/64 but fish were still active. Sat was a different story....wind howling....couldnt even get out of creek. All fish caught in less than 5ft water using threadfin shad.

Attached Files:

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    What, no dynamite? :big_smile:

5. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Got to be on the up and up with the grandkids round........ !!!! :cool2:

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    ken looks like a fish fry if i dont have a relaps im going this wk so i can get redy for ga gathering if we could get tommy to come we might get some flats

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, Ron; glad to see you posting. I've been concerned about you, buddy. Hope you can get down this way soon. :big_smile:

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    looks like to me the foxhound took up the grabbling on his own.:lol: tommy took another job so he wouldnt have to do it and roundhill and i are stuck up here in nc wishing. foxhound dont catch them all. leave some for the lower lake too.:lol: wont be long, ill be there. you fellows take it easy.:wink:

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Lets get together and celebrate the new law!!!!I think ole Foxhound is just now publishing pictures of all those dynomite victims he policed up.That new structure should be good about now.Had a great time skiing in Colo but glad to be back and its time to go fishing.:eek:oooh: :smile2:

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    went to upper end of lake marion in the timber to the left of #168 in 4ft to 8ft cought 27cats from 8lb to 37lb using shad for bate tried using standard carolina rig with 18in leder but kept getting coverd with old mose and outher stuff so i went back with my drift rig with the flote and 3ft leder and they liked it allso cought some big gar but they did not make it back foxhound put me on these fish probly go back this wk if anyone is interested let me know. ron howard.

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, Ron. I stayed home today, but if I'd known you were up there I would have gone, too. I wanted to try them ahead of this storm front, but couldn't get anyone to go here at home, and decided to sit it out.

12. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Just got back home ourselves........wish Id have left when you did Ron, wind was really bad driving down I95. We did pretty good on the fish but our largest was only about 22lbs and one striper about 15 lbs. It was hit or miss with my usual honey holes not paying off but the fish are still shallow and tight up on the cypress knots. How many new dings you pick up on your toon Ron??? Let me know what day you heading back.

13. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    ken not over 10 or fifteen but thats what i got it for you have to get back in thear whear thear at if you want to getem thanks agatn for puttin me on them fish i let you know wensday about this wk maybe we can get tommy to go it whould do him good it sure put me on a better trac hurt my left knee but its something all the time thats what you get for getting older so i hope to get a lot of hurt lol.

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yes, Yes, Yes!!! Save me a seat. I need a pick-me-up. :lol:

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have the boat in for some basic maint and hope to get down there the last weekend of April or the first week end of May.What is everyone doing for Mem Day?might be time to rent the multi room cabin and have another fish fry.:lol: :smile2: I'm ready for a break and I'm in on any plan.LETS FISH.:smile2: