Lake Marion Report 9-27-08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by santeefishhunter, Sep 29, 2008.

1. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Fished lake Marion on Saturday 9-27-08 and had a great day and some nice fish. The bites were slow, but quality fish. 1 Flathead 41 lbs,1 blue 30 lbs and 2 more around 15 lbs. All were caught drifting gizzard shad in 25 ft. of water. We missed some good fish that just couldn't get the hook fishing with some 7" gizzards. Weather was great with a perfect wind most of the day.

Attached Files:

2. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Kevin,

That's a nice load of fish!

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Just looking at that flathead make me jealous.... beautiful fish, congrats.

-Jim-

4. red1691

red1691 New Member

State:
    Meldrim, Ga.
    Man thats a great flathead:smile2:, glad to hear still some bites up there, hope they bite my hooks Oct. 17-19:roll_eyes: I Would like to get the kids on a few big one's (15lb or bigger) we have to dream !!!

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the report Kevin and that was a great stringer. Did you catch the gizzards or did someone have them for sale. I am heading back to moultrie thursday and hope to have a report like yours.:wink:

6. santeefishhunter

State:
    north caro
    I bought the gizzards from "liln8's bait and tackle on hwy 260 on the Manning side the lake. The flatheads should really be turning on here and the weather cooling down. We lost another good flathead or a big blue according to the way he bit! We could hear the reel seat crack when Wayne went to set the hook. We know he chewed for 5-10 minutes on that bait and still didn't get the hook.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks maybe Neds will have some thursday. Those flatheads will kill it this time of the year. I love the fall and am really looking foward to another great fall this year. I have broke my PB for blues and flatheads in the early fall for the past 3 years and have already topped my PB blue a few weeks ago so now I am looking for a 62+lb flathead this week.:wink:

8. santeefishhunter

State:
    north caro
    Ned supplies liln8's with bait, so he may have some.I have only fished the lower lake twice,but I love drifting and I want a big blue from down there. I like not having to dodge stumps in the lower lake. I beleive people miss flatheads when drifting cause they think it is hung because of the way the flatheads bite. I make sure it is hung on a stump before I touch the rod!:wink:

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree with you on that drifting flathead bite I have seen them swim with the bait for 30 minutes before trying to rip the side of the boat off. Me and Roundhill were fishing last fall and havent had a bite in hour or so and when we reeled up to move I reeled in a 41lb flathead and no telling how long he had been on there cause the rod never moved.

10. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    congrats on a great day of fishing, nothing like those big flatheads. Yall are making me jealous!:smile2:

11. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thats a good day on the lake! Thanks for the report.

12. Wayne Couick

Wayne Couick New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the update, looking forward to another great day on the water.:cool2: