Lake Marion questions

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tkeyhunter, Aug 28, 2007.

1. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello fellow cat fishermen, need a little info if anyone has a minute or two...
    My Aunt & Uncle live on lake Marion & have given us an open ended invitation to visit them when we can.
    My husband & I live in So. Illinois and are avid fishermen/women. Our schedules/jobs require vacation planning, unable to jump and go at will.
    Can you give us an idea of a good time to plan a long weekend trip? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.:0a23:

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would prob. say march or april before the spawn.

3. I would agree. March or April fishing shallow in the trees would probably be the easist/best time way to catch good fish.
    Do you know where on lake Marion they live?

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If it were me I would go around the Columbus Day or Veterans day weekends in Oct & Nov.Weather is much cooler and so is the water.The fish are dropping back into winter holding areas after being scattered all over.PLUS the Striper action will be picking up with the cooling water and they will be coming up top frequently.Traffic and pressure on the lakes will be significantly less as most folks are hunting at that time.I would look into hiring a guide if you dont know the lakes well.Bring clothes to dress warm and dry with.Have fun whenever you come.:big_smile::smile2:

5. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    I fish 12 months out of the year there and have decent success year around. The month of April and late September thru mid October is so easy a caveman could catch em!

6. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    To answer the ?, they live on StumpHole Rd in Elloree. Thank you all so much for the help. We don't get away very often & really wanna catch some cats somewhere besides the Mississippi.
    :0a23:

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That area is really hot during May & June, fishing the cypress trees in shallow water during the spawn. Also some super good shellcracker fishing around the full moon in those months.
    Santee Cooper offers some good fishing just about any time you can get there. Hot temps during July and August may cause a lot of folks to be more inclined to fish at night or early mornings, though.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tommy is right.....that area is productive during the spawn in the shallows. It is also real good during Oct. and Nov. fishing in the channels before it gets really cold.

9. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Here's my 2 cents........Spring is great in April...But it can be very cold and very windy. If I was coming all the way from IL, I'd shoot for the Fall. As others have said, fishing is good in the shallows, both crappie and shellcracker are also abundant and you have a better chance at nicer weather. One last thing, to get your gas money's worth driving 1500+ miles round trip, consider hiring a guide unless you are fishing with someone very familiar with the lake. My vote is early to mid October.....Good luck and tell us how you do.

10. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We have talked it over & the vote is spring. We cannot really schedule for fall. Son plays H.S. football & we both hunt so fall schedule is full full full.
    It will probably be during spring break. I promise to let everyone know how the trip goes. I appreciate everyones time & effort in helping us plan this. :0a23:Here's wishing you all relaxing days and monster cats!

11. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    We go several times a year and we always have our best trips during the spring. There's not really any guess work on where the fish are. Plus, we haven't mastered drifting yet and in the spring time you can anchor up in the shallows and catch all the fish you want to without having to drift.