Lake Marion Low Water Video

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by blackwaterkatz, Jan 2, 2008.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  2. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Unbelievible, Thanks Tommy. Will any of the rain we've gotten in past few weeks help.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thanks for the video Tommy! I hope you guys get some rain soon! One positive is that you can use that video to identify structure for when the water level gets back to normal!

4. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wow !!! That's unbeleivable. Is the Upper Lake really that bad? Pray for rain is right. Thanks for the link.:cry:

5. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks Tommy. Very interesting video.

6. WillyMan

WillyMan New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    W O W !!:sad2: I understood our water levels were low, but ... WOW !

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    they say that 10% of the water holds 90% of the fish.looks to me like they ought to have their fins sticking out of the water cause looks like only 10% of the water is left.hope you get water soon or your fish might start dying.

8. matt8823

matt8823 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    man that is terible. i didnt realize the conditions were that bad.

9. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tommy,
    The lake bed as most of us have never seen it. This video gives a new perspective to just how powerful mother nature can be. I wonder if the low water is having any impact on other habitats surrounding the lakes?
    Thanks Tommy.

10. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Absolutely unbelievable. Thanks for the video. Strange to see it like that.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Man thats just sad.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I think that video was made in late november, and the lake has fallen some more since then, but has held steady or gained a little with the recent rain upcountry. I'm wondering what effect it might have on the fish spawn, as well as other wildlife that depend on that habitat.

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    With much of their spawning areas high and dry its not going to be good thats for sure.

14. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I'm sure that the ecosystem in/around the lake has already changed substantially. It's up to time to tell how severely and for how long :embarassed:

15. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I had no ideal that it was that bad there.Just unbelievable.I know the whole east coast needs rain,so maybe if we get the lots of snow this year,it might help some.Thanks for the video.

16. Fish Bait

Fish Bait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That is unreal when will it get back to normal????:sad2:

17. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Awesome video Tommy, but we all need to do those last 3 words,PRAY FOR RAIN!!!!:wink:

18. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Can't watch the video yet, I'm still a newbie. Early October I spent a week on Santee. The water was 7' low and dropping then. A couple of folks warned us about the gators being super agressive due to hunger. Seems they normally lay in the bushes to snag a bird or other animal, but the bushes are now yards from the water.

It's sad to say, but we almost need a tropical storm or hurricane to turn things around. I small-mouth fish in Tennessee every year on TVA lakes, and lots of times they begin to fill the lakes after the bass go on the bed, and the beds end up in 20 feet or more water. Makes it very hard to locate bass, but doesn't seem to affect the spawn. I don't know how cats will react to the water level. I suspect this will take a while to recover from.

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Welcome, Stever. Glad to have you here. Jump in, make a couple more posts, no matter what, and then you will have more privileges :smile2:

20. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Thanks Tommy.

I don't know how to describe my feelings when I viewed the video. I knew the water was low but I guess you could say I was completely flabbergasted by the video.