Lake Marion Lake Moultrie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by krowbar, Oct 27, 2007.

1. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I fish Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie regurlarly. With this drought we are currently in the lake levels are lower than they've been in a long time. I have a friend that lives on the lower lake. He told me that Fish and Game Management are proposing to shut down all recreational fishing at both lakes because of the water levels. That would be a shame. :crazy:Has anyone heard about this or know anything about this proposal?

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I haven't heard anything. In 2002 the water was way down and they didn't stop anything from going on so I wouldn't think they would this time either.

3. tennessee blues

tennessee blues New Member

State:
    Fort Bragg, North Carolina
    I haven't heard anything about that either. I spend a lot of time on the Marion and haven't even heard it suggested. I fished throughout the 2002 drought and in my opinion, it was worse that this one (so far).

Shayne

4. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Fished out of Canal Lakes Sunday. Bunch of guides launching there that work out of other camps because of the low water. Noone mentioned any ramps being closed other than because of low water. They did, however, say that the word is the lakes will be drawn down at least 3 more feet for work to be done on the dam. From what I saw another foot will shut down Canal Lakes ramp to anything bigger than jon boats that can be slid in and out.
    Greg

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Have there been alot of accidents due to the low levels? I heard the same rumor, I just don't see how it would make any sense to close the lakes to fishing and recreational usage??

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Perhaps someone should contact the Santee Cooper help desk which is manned 24/7 and ask them what the plan is.I do know they have been talking about some repairs to the Moultrie dam for a while now.I think they dumped all that canal rock into a hole a year or so ago.It would make sense to do it during the drought.2002s lowest level was about 1 foot above what the lakes are right now.Great time to get out and take some pictures of all that exposed structure.:smile2:

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't heard of shutting down the lakes, but they are taking advantage of the low water to do some dike repairs. There is a lot of new real estate showing up on both lakes, now.
    The rediversion canal has a shallow area between channel markers 32-30, as little as 4' as you exit the canal into Lake Moultrie.
    Take a look at a couple of pics from yesterday; the channel from Black's into the rediversion canal, and the 'Brickyard' area on lake marion, normally this is mostly submerged. Also one someone sent me of, I think, Angel's landing area.
    As mentioned, the ramp at Canal Lakes requires careful unloading. The steel bulkhead that is submerged at the end of the ramp could cause problems for larger trailers.

Attached Files:

8. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Tommy thanks for the info.
    That picture of Angels Landing you can see my boat (the one with the blue enclosure) sitting in the mud.
    It dosen't look like I will be using it anytime soon. So I bought me a Warrior Trihull with a 50 Merc on it until I can I can use my boat.

I have been wondering what happenened to you. You haven't posted much lately.

Jim

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've had a lot going on, Jim, along with some health issues, and I just haven't had much time to post much, although I do get on and scan the highlights as often as I can. Things'll settle down pretty soon, I hope.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    WOW.how cool!!!!! I have wondered about the brickyard for a long time.Caught some big ones there.Again I would point out that if you can get out now and take some pictures of the exposed structure it will add to your fishing knowledge later.I have heard you can see the locks on the old slave canal and now would be a good time to GPS them for future reference.I would come down this weekend but I'm afraid I wouldnt be able to launch.That big deep vee takes a lot of water to get back on the trailer.I was going to fish with Ron but he has a team.:big_smile:

11. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    will be down wednesday night to start looking so everyone should help me out find some fish turn the address over to me i will look them up.see you soon .ron howard

12. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I agree with the picture taking but be carefully......

13. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ok guys .....how bout a updated fishing report for Lake Moultrie...I feel a road trip coming on

14. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Ken I saw serveral boats come into Hills Landing yesterday. And I seen fifteen or twenty over twenty lbs and many over ten. All were released.

I think most all of them were caught on the lower lake.

Jim

15. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    just for foxhound lots of fish 25 to 40 ft in the afternoon go shollow 10 to 20 ft using whole white perch and herring if you can get fresh river mullet its great fresh fresh fresh drift reel slow i liked the east side but cought just as many on the west side i hope this helps as soon as i get my boat put back togather i will be down probly thursday see you soon ron howard

16. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ron,
    Which landing did you use to launch your boat?

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Eddie he has been using canal lakes cause it is the only landing down that way open. I heard they were curruently dredging out blacks fish camp?

18. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    They were also using Hills or they were Sunday anyway.

Jim

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good report, Ron. Thanks a ton.

20. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Drove by on Saturday but all you guys were still out fishing. Visited several boat ramps just to see. I was amazed at the amount of dirt showing. About Blacks Camp. Attached are couple pictures taken Nov 10. Anyone going post results of the tournament

Attached Files: