Lake Marion in South Carolina

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by meanmalibu, Mar 22, 2006.

1. meanmalibu

meanmalibu New Member

State:
    ga
    was just wondering if anybody knew the water temp and an if any fish were being taken in the shallows yet?thanks bobby

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The temp was up around 60, but this cool snap has it dropping, down to about 57 now, and will likely continue to drop to the mid-50's before it warms back up. The sun is supposed to shine for the next few days, which will help it hold steady or warm up some, especially during the day.
    Some fish were being caught shallow last week, haven't heard many reports much since then, but the few I've heard are poor.
    Check this link for temps. Keep in mind that these temps are near the dam, and the upper stretch of the lake make be different:
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/uv?dd_cd=02&dd_cd=15&format=gif&period=7&site_no=02171000

3. meanmalibu

meanmalibu New Member

State:
    ga
    thanks for the link tommy,and info,we are heading your way in 9 days,hope the weather holds good,we will be staying at hills on the canal.cant wait!thanks again tommy,bobby

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bobby, the folks there at Hill's can update you, but I understand some fish were being caught at the upper end of the diversion canal, at least before this cold snap.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm dying to get down to Marion. The flatheads should be picking up really soon. State record was caught in May but the former record was caught in April.

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thomas, there were a few big flats caught in the tournament at Randolph's Landing a couple weeks ago. The water is around 57-58 deg. right now, so they should continue to pick up. Even with this cold snap, the sun will help keep the temp from dropping too much, hopefully.
    I don't know if you've seen the April issue of South Carolina Sportsman, but there is a pretty good article in there about flatheads in lake hartwell.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I haven't seen that but I'll be looking for now. The canal should be loaded with flatheads, thats where both records were caught. Odd though because most are caught shallower than the canal.

8. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Bobby, fished the canal on 15th and 16th with a guide ,didn't get a bite shallow or drifting out by short stay. that was a long ride home back to ky. with no fish to show for it. my son is not letting me live it down. hope u have better luck than we did.

9. meanmalibu

meanmalibu New Member

State:
    ga
    Darryl,i know the feeling,i have been there and not got a bite!then i have been there and 30 minutes after i put the boat in put a 22lb blue in the boat!its just something about that place ive always liked,if they were biting or not.i just sold my race car and bought a bass boat so ill defintely being going up there like i use to years ago!we use to go every year,but its been about 9 years since i fished there.i know there are some big uns there,its just finding them is the problem!bobby

10. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    We just got back from a week of fishing Lake Marion. First two days, we only caught 1 fish. Spent monday night on the boat in the middle of lake marion... the wind blew about 30mph w/ 6 foot swells. At 3 a.m. it started thunderstorming. Needless to say we had a rough night. Thankfully we survived and made it back in the waves that next morning, although i did knock off a good hunk of blade off of my prop on the way back. After that we fished hard around the lower end the of the lake and did not get a bite in 20 hours of fishing w/ 16 rods. Finally, we decided we had to make a serious move. We went up to the I-95 bridge and spent the last 2 days up there. We wound up doing good there fishing the edge of the santee river channel. We caught 15 fish those last 2 days and had a good many get off. The biggest was a 20lb flathead, 15lb blue, and then most of the rest were around 10lbs. When we got there the water temp was 59 degrees, the day we left it was 55.

11. meanmalibu

meanmalibu New Member

State:
    ga
    trey,man its sounds like yall had a rough start,im glad everything finally went your way. did yall try to fish the diversion canal at all? i know as big as marion is that the wind can get you in a bind in a hurry. ive never really did any fishin around the I-95 bridge area but im willing to give it a try. were gonna start fishin the canal this friday and friday night but if we dont have any luck we will definatly be scouting around! thanks for all the advice,

bobby

12. meanmalibu

meanmalibu New Member

State:
    ga
    trey,man its sounds like yall had a rough start,im glad everything finally went your way. did yall try to fish the diversion canal at all? i know as big as marion is that the wind can get you in a bind in a hurry. ive never really did any fishin around the I-95 bridge area but im willing to give it a try. were gonna start fishin the canal this friday and friday night but if we dont have any luck we will definatly be scouting around! thanks for all the advice,

bobby

13. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I just joined this site after viewing for the past two months. Fished 3-23 and only caught 1 and missed one in 7' of water. I think the cold weather might have pushed them back off from the shallows. I was using shiners for bait.

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the board Kelley. Where about do ya hail from?

15. outoftheboat

State:
    South Carolina
    The great town of Ehrhardt.

16. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Cool I have an idea where that is. What size shiner were you using?

17. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Glad I caught onto you guys talking about Lake Marion. I was there last year the 1st week of April and they were catching some really big cats. I plan to head down again about the 3rd. week of April this year, to Randolph Landing again. This time I will haul my boat down fron upstate NY. It cost me $135.00 a day plus gas for a boat. It is cheaper to haul mine down there at those prices. The one we rented did not run to well either. That's life however. I usually stay about a week when I go. Any information is helpfull as we all need all the input we can get. Where they are today they might not be tomorrow. I catch small cats here in the Hudson River. 13" - 15" but the river is polutted with PCB's so we don't eat them. Just fun to practice for Santee-Cooper. That diversion channel is quite a ways down the lake from Randolrh's isn't it ? Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.
    I'm not proud. :eek:

18. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    If I'm thinking correct the canal is straight across the lake(alongthe dam that is) from there. One of the best baits for flatheads is white perch because they eat them little boogers all the time anyway. Good luck and Godspeed.:)

19. outoftheboat

State:
    South Carolina
    They were pretty big ones that I caught out of a local pond. 6-9" long. Caught the fish on the head. Lately that's all that they want.

20. outoftheboat

State:
    South Carolina
    APD. You should be on fish pretty good. Turned cold this past week and slowed things down. Suppose to be getting warmer...so you should hit it at the right time.