Lake Marion Help

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mark29860, Apr 15, 2009.

1. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hello folks, my wife and I are gonna load up and fish Sat. The only places I know of are Santee State Park and Lake Marion Resort. This trip will be learning by trial and error . We fished with Capt. Darryl last year and never got out of sight of the I95 bridge. I would like to know if this is a good place or do I need to try and find somewhere else. I'm open to all suggestions. One other thing do the bait shops around Santee always have bait. Thanks

2. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    From Santee State Park, I'd go straight across into the trees at Stumphole Swamp. Fish around the trees, plenty of 'm:wink:

Be careful though, they don't call it stumphole swamp for nothing. Plenty of stumps to "tear up" your boat on.

3. oldcatsc

oldcatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    this time of year big cats are in the shallows , fresh cut bait does very well . while in the shallow water watch for stumps , when running faster than a idle stay close to the channel makers. lake marion is a great lake with some real trophys , remember the 36 inch or larger rule .(one per day per person) Hope you have a great time .... oldcatsc

4. Big_cat_hunter

Big_cat_hunter New Member

State:
    Saluda, SC
    X2 on the trees across from Stump Hole Landing/State Park. Plenty of fish to be caught there this time of year. Just take it slow 'cause the extra time spent is worth not damaging your boat or putting your safety at risk. I had a buddy of mine flip his boat when he hit a stump (at idle speed).:crazy: It knocked the tiller handle out of his hand which caused the throttle to open momentarily, sending him backwards in the boat. The nose was in the air and his weight in the back of the boat caused the back to go under and it sunk within 30 seconds. The water temp was still in the 50's and it was a Tuesday afternoon. Luckily I was nearby in my boat and heard him yelling for help. It took us 2 hours to right his boat and get it shallow enough to bail. It could've turned out much worse. Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to make my fellow catters aware of what COULD happen, especially those unfamiliar with this area. BE SAFE!!!!:wink:

5. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Let me hijack this thread for a minute so I am not making another.....When fishing the stumphole area, do you just pick random trees to fish or is there a sceince on which trees to fish?

6. Big_cat_hunter

Big_cat_hunter New Member

State:
    Saluda, SC
    What I normally do is to find a group of trees that are spread out enough to throw 4-6 rods out and not worry about getting tangled if a fish gets on and runs with it. I like the trees that form a horseshoe that I can back into and fan my rods out. Get your bait as close to the base of the trees as possible for a quick bite. Also, don't hesitate to throw a single rod out into open water away from the trees. Sometimes you catch one cruisin' around. I normally don't sit in one spot for more than 15-20 mins. If the fish are there they will bite fast. I have caught as many as 4 fish in one spot in less than 20 mins. This is just my preference for fishing the shallow bite, but I have caught 40-50 pound fish in 3 feet of water nowhere near a tree. If the trees aren't producing then move to a mudflat or try a little bit deeper water. The key is to change up your tactics if the fish aren't cooperating. Don't stay in a rut.