Lake Marion, dont know where to go

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fbinsley, Aug 16, 2009.

1. fbinsley

fbinsley New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hello. I want to know if anyone ever puts in at packs landing or is familiar with the area. i want to go catfishing out there but i dont know where to go. do i stay in the middle wide open part of the lake or do i go out in areas where there are alot of trees? maybe i should head towards the bank? any info would help me out alot...from what i hear, guys and gals are always pulling in monster cats around the trussles. thanks again

2. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Frank, you probably need to go out to the main channel and go up river and fish some of the deep holes in the outside bends. Week end traffic on the river makes fishn a little harder unless you are going at night. Still be carefull cause some of those guys run up that river at night as if it was day.

3. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Ive been meaning to take the trip down to SC to fish lake marion. Ive read its got some monster flat heads in there..

4. fbinsley

fbinsley New Member

State:
    south carolina
    GottaGo, thanks for the response... you say go up to the main channel but i dont know how to get there. can i fish for cats out there in the daytime? is the main channel close to packs or low falls? i need a lil direction as this is my first year on the water..thanks man

5. redneck 1

redneck 1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey fbinsley,if you put in at Packs just follow the train trussle right out to the Congaree River,if you go down the river Low Falls will be on the right maybe a mile or so and the Lake is maybe three miles down . that's a guess on distance. Good Luck.

redneck 1

6. fbinsley

fbinsley New Member

State:
    south carolina
    redneck1, is that the main channel?

7. redneck 1

redneck 1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Yup,that's the Congaree River.

redneck 1

8. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Frank, redneck is correct. Followthe trussel till you see the main river. Kind of watch your dept finder leaving packs. The last time i was there (its been awhile sense i put in at packs, I now put in at Bates Landing on 601)
    There was some markers along the trussel so not to get in trouble. At that time it was low water so that should not be a problem now. You can go down river once you reach the trusell but i always prefered fishing up river. If you go up about 10 miles or so you will run into where the wateree and congree join. I usually start there and work my way down. You will see a lot of log jams in the outside bends. Just anchor above them and throw your bait as close as possible to the jams. You will need at least 40lb line with good rods and reels. Tighten your drag down as tight as possible to keep the fish from running far. You will also get hung up a lot so i suggest to use only 4 rods and take a lot of hooks and lead. You can also look on your sonar because all log jams are not visable and are under water. Some river fishermen use clip on's and clip to ever bush they come to and fish for 10 min and move to the next hole. Anchor or clip on, doesn't matter. don't stay in one hole to long. I have an egg timer and i move every 10-15min. Gizzard shad seem to work best there for me but i have used perch and bream. This is just some ideas and sfter fisshing there for awhile you will get the feel for what works for you. Just remember that larger reels with the big handles work best because you will have to pull fast and hard to get them out of the log jams. I use 40lb line cause anything bigger wears me down after breaking off a hundred times:smile2: If you are able use the 60lb line, maybe you can get the big boys in. I have caught fish in the river up to 60+lbs and have 2 56lb fish from that section of the river. All was caught in Oct-Nov.

9. fbinsley

fbinsley New Member

State:
    south carolina
    GottaGo, I always put in at bates landing too. i usually go downriver a few miles to that big horseshoe bend in the river (right past where wateree and cong. meet) ive had little luck there so far but i havent fished there much yet either..the river is around 40ft there, i have no depth finder so i can only measure depth by my anchor rope. I have always heard the cats swim deep during the day..so do you think i would be better off fishing in that spot in the daytime? and yes, last saturday my buddy and me were out there and it seemed like everytime we reel in we were snagged. that in itself can be very discouraging. also, what would be the best lead to keep my bait on the bottom? i usually use 1-2oz egg sinkers or pyramid wheights....hey man thanks for the info, and maybe i'll see ya one day at the landing

10. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    :wink:When i fish the river i use 3oz cause i use my big rods. I usually fish close to the bank because in the outside bends the water is usually deep. You need to get a cheap sonar to find the holes but until you do, the Log Jams are easy to see. I have never fished the river this time of year, well i have fished it but quit summer fishn the river because of the boat traffic and lack of big fish bite. I fish during the week, in the fall of the year. You get hung a lot but its worth it when you hook a 50+ lb fish and try to pull him from the logs. :smile2: I'm fixing to put a Lowrance fish finder on my pontoon so i may have a fishfinder for sale pretty soon:wink:

11. fbinsley

fbinsley New Member

State:
    south carolina
    lemme know if you want to sell ur fish finder..cuz i sure cant find em. also what is your opinion on using big minnows for bait?

12. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Minnows seem to wrk fine on fish up to 10lbs:smile2: I guess i'm a shad & perch man:cool2:

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    If they are 6" or better they work pretty good but finding minnows that big is generally hard to do.

14. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Catching a lot of big flatheads and few nice blues at night below I95 in 15 to 30 ft of water. Bait of choice is live bream and heads. Working the edges of the channels and moving about every hour.