Lake Marion Death

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rivercatsc, Jun 11, 2008.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I just saw on the news that 2 boaters from Conway, SC died on the upper lake last night. I dont know anymore details.

2. catfish_express

catfish_express New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thats why i dont go out there it gets so rough so quick and if you dont have a big enough boat you will find yourself in trouble quick. and my boat aint big enough for me

3. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thats why I DON"T CARE WHAT SIZE BOAT YOU HAVE... you need to have a throwable with a line attached. More people drown from trying to save others because the other person is in drowning/panic mode. They will take you down with them even if you are an excellent swimmer!

I'm scuba certified and lifegard certified... In my younger days I stayed in the water. Never, EVER, try to pull a drowning person out of the water. Throw them something. If needed, empty your cooler and toss it to them. If you've got a pole on your boat, let them grab the pole.

Thats why every boat should have at LEAST 2 throwable cushions. And keep some extra rope on board to tie to the cushion when you throw it.

If you have someone onboard your boat who DOES NOT know how to swim, insist they wear a personal flotation device ALL THE TIME. PERIOD!

AND if you are traveling at high speeds, all passengers should be required to wear them until you STOP.

Even an experienced swimmer, when they hit the water at a high rate of speed, can become unconscious. So they will drown unless someone is around to save them. Unlikely....

Be careful, be safe, and practice safety first.

later..
    Ron

4. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
  5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    So sad to hear.

I will say my Prayers.
    -Jim-

6. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Santee (Both lakes) can turn into the OCEAN when a storm comes over. I feel bad for the family and hope they get through this.

Lesson learned for my fellow Santee fishermen and visitors to this wonderful lake.

Lesson one: This lake will KILL you if you let it, life jackets and throwables stored in a hard to get spot helps it kill you.

lesson two: This lake can have 4 foot waves with a 1 sec interval, meaning even a pontoon can be capsized.

lesson three: This lake dont like night drivers who dont respect it.

last lesson water expecially big water needs to be respected and its dang hard to be killed being respectful and smart but it sure is easy to be buried being stupid and disrespectful of this lake.

Be safe and bring home the most important catch....YOU and your FAMILY.

Curt

7. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Prayers from So. Alabama

8. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Sad, but I've heard similar stories many times over there. Thanks for the link to the story. Also thanks for the good advice about keeping safety devices in hard to get versus easy to get places...good point.
    Jonathan

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The average depth of the two lakes is 12 ft.They can go from dead calm to OCEAN in less than 2-3 minutes.I have witnessed this many times and run for cover often.I have a 21ft center console deep v type of boat and those two lakes scare the hell out of me.I always keep my eye on the sky.I also have three throwables and after the 2 men drowned in the tournament a couple of years ago bought GOOD life preserverers not the cheap kind that come with the boat.I rescued 5 large kids from a 17ft boat in the middle of a bad storm 2years ago.The boat was having engine problems and the parents begged me to take the kids off which I did, but it wasnt easy getting the 2 boats together.The parents stayed with the boat and were also eventually rescued but 7 of them in one boat was a definite overload as I'm sure was the case here.Quite frankly I wasnt sure I had done them any favor when I got to the mouth of the canal and saw how big the waves were,but we made it in.Common sense has alas proved to be not so common I'm afraid.:embarassed:Santee will kill you in the blink of an eyeif you arent careful.

10. BrianD

BrianD New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I second that Jim!

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Those lakes have taken many lives.

Does anyone have any idea how many people have been killed on the two lakes over the years?

I think word "lake" adds a false sense security to the inexperienced Santee boaters. Many do not realize that freshwater will swell faster and create larger waves than saltwater in the same amount of wind, because freshwater is less dense and not as heavy as saltwater.

12. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Our prayers from central Georgia go out to the families.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Prayers sent from Nevada.

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I opened this thread cause I was on the wrong Lake Marion(Ks):embarassed:, but I did gather some good waterboating safety info, thanks.

15. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    prayers sent from PA.