Lake Marion - Check your gear!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by IndianCoach, May 13, 2007.

1. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Went out on Marion Friday night. Had to go by my lonesome cause everyone bailed out at the last minute. Tough to do that type of fishing alone. HAd to try to set two anchors by myself which was impossible with a steady 12-15 souteast and a two foot chop. Anyhoo finally put both anchors out front and got them to hold but it was very bouncy especially with my fat rear fishing out of the back. Caught one 5 pounder off the bat then got broke off four consecutive times by average fish. Finally I hooked the biggest soft shell turtle and he broke me at the boat so I got perturbed and went to the cabin. The next morning I went to investigate and saw my problem. I have been doing alot of fishing lately and with the use most of my rigs had many scuffs and frays around the terminal end. Didn't pay any attention when loading but I will surely re-rig it all now. Wasted a decent night. I'll also-- say that it sucks to fish by yourself evem with a good cold beer after a day of work. Check your gear boys. Even the smallest frray can lose a fish. Santee is hot now. At night in 7 to 10 the blues are killing the threadfins. Wish I could go tonight. Water temp was 79 and will probably drop a bit this week. Big storm last night brought probably and inch or more of rain. Water had dropped a bit but that rain will bring it back up some. Now is the time fellas.

2. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    I usually tie on a new leader on ALL rods each trip whether it looks like they need it or not....even if I just fished the day before. When I fish some of the bigger money tournaments I respool everything. You can get by with some frays with smaller fish, but the big ones will break your heart if you aren't prepared for them. I do about 50% of my fishing by myself, and it definitely can get a little boring when the bite is slow, but overall I don't mind it. I you hook one bigger than 40 pounds or hook a wild smaller one, it's a challenge to net him. With that said, I'll be fishin by myself tomorrow and looking forward to it.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Got me ready to hit the lake. I will be fishing Marion on wednesday with my father and brother. I will be putting in at the game warden landing in whyboo about 5am and fishing all day. If anyone one is around give me a hollar on ch69. I hope to have a good report.

4. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Rivercat if you go to your map and find Pine Island I have been doing well in the channel out from it. Although you will pass over some prime habitat to get there. My neighbors tell me they have been catching them in 15 to 22 feet during the day and moving shallow 7 to 10 at night. I know on the side where you are launching there are some quality ledges that they'll probably be setting on during the day. You are hitting it right. I wish I could go now and I prefer to fish at night. Spring football practice is over for me this week so that will free me. Good luck and let me know how you do. One thing I forgot about my trip the other night. I caught all my fish and all hookups on shad. Not even a bite on herring. I do think a live one dropped down during the day would be good. If I was going today I would only fish with shad.

5. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Dann thanks for all the info. I will be staying at Harry's this weekend (where Marion and Diversion Canal meet) and will be there from Friday to Sunday. I know of a good shallow spot (8-10 ft. deep) with some cypress trees nearby. Since you told me about where they're biting and what they're biting, I feel more confident in this spot. Wonder how good white perch heads would work? Thanks and I'll try to let you know how I do!!

6. I'm gonna go out tommorow at sunset. (lake Marion)Does anyone know if the shallow (2'-5' deep)nightime bite is still good? or should i find some deeper water that has both. I anchor-fish about 11 rods around the pontoon boat so i want them in the most productive water possible.

7. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I think the night bite is where it's at right now. I personally don't like the 2 to 5 depth. I think you get a lot of unwanted bites in that range. I like the 7 to 10 range with a deep water avenue nearby. Find the intersection with the deep and shallow and you have your spot. The other night i HAD lines in at 730 and didn't get a bite until 830 but then it was pretty good. Ilike the night cause the water seems to light up with activity. It looks like I am on the shelf for the week. GOOD

8. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I think the night bite is where it's at right now. I personally don't like the 2 to 5 depth. I think you get a lot of unwanted bites in that range. I like the 7 to 10 range with a deep water avenue nearby. Find the intersection with the deep and shallow and you have your spot. The other night i HAD lines in at 730 and didn't get a bite until 830 but then it was pretty good. Ilike the night cause the water seems to light up with activity. It looks like I am on the shelf for the week. GOOD LUCK GUYS AND PLEASE POST so I can enjoy the scene.

9. MDCatman

MDCatman New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I'm heading to Marion tomorrow with my brother. I hope he has learned how to fish since the last time we went out. I need at least a little fart knocker to take a picture of or my avatar will have to stay a shadow forever. I bought me some stink spray to soak my cut bait with. I might try spraying it all over rivercat's boat for good luck. Wish me luck, and maybe on my next post I will be holding up a big ol' green flattie.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    MDcatman is my oldest brother and our track record for fishing together is not too good. I can be catching fish everyday and when he comes in town we usually catch a whole lot of nothing. I hope we will break that tommorow so wish us luck. Oh yea you can leave that stink bait CRAP at the house!

11. well... not to good of a fishing night for us. fished 3 1/2 hours and only 1 fish in 2'-10' deep w/ herring. i had my brother w/ me and he spent more time sleeping/snoring than fishing.That clicker rod screaming on that fish did wake him up for a little while. I couldn't even get him to move the front anchor or reg. check his lines.i guess he did catch some zzzzzzzs.
    I might be out of commision for a little while ... my dad's has to have a quad bypass surgery this friday so you guys save a few of them kitty kats
    for me.

12. wildusaf

wildusaf New Member

State:
    SC
    dude, no need to go solo, i live in sumter near Shaw AFB. I have been here a few yeas and i have fished wateree lake and river a zillion times and even the upper lake once, but i have always been apprehensive to fish the open lower lake cause everyone around here has stories of huge waves and bad stuff. I have been wanting to take my boat down there, but am kinda chicken to go out by myself with all the stories a friend has told me. if ya are ever looking to go back down there gimme a hollar.

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Mark thanks for the report. Me and my brother went to marion today with no luck what so ever. We tried drifting shallow, anchoring shallow, and anchoring deep. I tried every hole I knew about and nothing worked out.

14. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    James, maybe it was the stink spray was why you did not ctach fish.

Jim

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    NO I dont think so I didnt let him even bring that stuff in my boat the fish just were not biting. I think they are doing better at night.

16. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    I didn't know some people swear by stink bait while others won't let it on their boat.

17. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Kinda like those green worms........had a buddy of mine use some of those in my boat once and it took me a month to wash all the dye out of the carpet........now banned on all my boats !!!

18. fishing report..
    My Dad was doing better after surgery so i thought i give it a try.
    Went early sat. a.m. lines in water at 3:00 am. Fished shallow 2-5 foot
    until 6:30am and no fish. mayflies were everywhere and lots of fish activity around but no fish. Lots of alligators around. You could here them bellowing loudly at night.kinda spoky sounding.
    anchored on some fish until 9 am and did manage to catch 4 cats.. 2blue, 1 channel, abd one flathead. 1 10 lber and others were 2-5 lb. fished w/ herring.fished at marion around island 16.

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, Mark. Hope your dad recovers well. What areas were you fishing, btw?

20. Thanks Tommy,
    I was fishing the trees and the deep creek that run along the south
    side of Island sixteen on Marion. Its right by that sandy beach point area
    where people camp at on the island.